Travel uniform for high school tryouts?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Should you wear your travel uniform to high school tryouts?

• Yes

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 74.4%

• Total voters

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Our Org. puts our players last name on all practrice tees and Jerseys, Looking at the poll I'm in the minority, but I know of a middle school coach who had 70 players tryout and after cuts ask where player X was, she stepped forward, and was not the player she thought she was. Coach just nodded, Player X lost a whole year of school ball, because of being confused with a much weaker player.

Mar 28, 2020
Our school highly recommend wear your junior high gym t-shirt as all three of our junior high's wear the same city t-shirt

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
Like many topics on DFP....this one seems to be very regional or school specific. I'd suspect most schools would prefer to see school flair overall, but I still think wearing a practice shirt with TB colors isn't the worst thing at least for day one. I know I'm over thinking it, but maybe TB colors to start then school colors from there. More as a "Where I'm from" and then a "Where I want to be" type of message.

At the end of the day.....let the players actions speak the loudest during tryouts.

May 6, 2015
In a similar vein, what do you think of MS players (no school ball in MS in our district) contacting HS coaches to introduce themselves? DW wants DD to do this, since she does not play rec at all (which is kinda linked to the HS, rec district boundaries are the same as the HS) and her travel team is probably not on HS coaches radar (a little further away than most kids in the HS play travel for).

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
In a similar vein, what do you think of MS players (no school ball in MS in our district) contacting HS coaches to introduce themselves? DW wants DD to do this, since she does not play rec at all (which is kinda linked to the HS, rec district boundaries are the same as the HS) and her travel team is probably not on HS coaches radar (a little further away than most kids in the HS play travel for).
Why wouldn't you? Our HS coaches in our district know who the upcoming 6/7/8 graders are at least so they can forecast/project who and how many kids are coming into the program. They also conduct clinics for the little leagues as well. Most of the HS coaches will make the effort to go to TB games and see future players as well. It's been great for the girls. They "know" when the HS coach is there as well and it's been positive.

Funny side story, this past summer....my DD was pitching in a TB game. Her freshman year ended the day before games were to begin....COVID shut down. HS coach came to watch her in a summer game. AC for travel ball comes out of dugout to talk to me...says "hey we've got a coach here watching, might be watching your DD". My reply..."I sure hope so....that's her HS COACH!" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12