Travel softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 25, 2010
My DD didn't begin playing travel ball until she was 10. By the time she was 16, she was playing on, arguably, the best team in Ohio. A team that placed very high at Boulder and has almost the whole roster committed. It's not going to hurt her to wait a couple years, but it may very well hurt her to start too soon. A lot, and I mean A LOT of girls burn out when they get older because that is all their life has become. Let her be a little girl.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Good Post crystlemc!!!!!!
I must be getting old! My DD started rec ball at 8yo. Travel ball
when she was 11 and played primarily local tournaments until 16U. I agree
with many others that 8U is too young. She is now starting her
2nd year in college and we have no regrets. (yes she plays college ball)

A least once per season we had the same conversation where I told her that
"she could quit anytime. Softball is a game and is supposed to be fun blah-blah blah."

Fast forward to present day, she is now having more fun than any travel club she
ever played on. She is happy and I can look back on the trips from 16U and higher
when we traveled extensively and made more memories together than one could ever hope.

OP-your daughter is a little girl-let her have fun with no pressure to perform that comes at
12U and increases at every level. MY neighbor coaches 8U travel, they only play 3-4 times
in the summer. Personally I think this is to break in the parents not the players :)

Feb 17, 2014
I think it all comes down to you and her coaches as far as burn out is concerned.

You sound like a reasonable parent. If you're going to be overbearing, always demanding excellence, yelling when she screws up, then yeah I think she's going to burn out. If you're patient and let her live through some failure without ripping her head off, then she's going to continue to have fun. A lot of times the parents & coaches are what take the fun out of the game. Don't be that parent and find coaches that are a good fit for that.

Everyone is different. You'll find the right situation for your DD. You're already doing the right thing by thinking about this stuff.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812