Travel program just wants to have fun, not really interested in improvement

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I recent had a cabal of parents get very upset with me for wanting/pushing the girls program to be better and the girls to be able to compete better.

I have been heavily involved in the softball program in our town for years, often being the spring and fall coach (the girls president is the summer coach). We are in our last year of 12U and other towns are passing us and we have real difficulty competing. In the past year I have been talking to the girl’s president and other coaches - advocating that we should be better and we need greater focus and more and longer practices. We are a small town and we will seldom beat the big towns, but we can be better. I feel a sense of urgency. When I ran practices I expected them to work hard and learn new skills. I pressed them to improve and their experience with me was much different than the languid laid back approach of the other coaches.

Also near the end of the season, I introduced the concept of slap hitting and drag bunting and encouraged the speedy girls to pursue it over the winter. I told them they could hugely improve their on-base percentage.

The parents actually asked where could they find mediocre travel teams to play. They said the girls just wanted to have fun and didn’t want to work too hard. They didn’t want to have more and longer practices. And to top it off, they were unhappy about me introducing the basics of slap hitting and drag bunting and encouraging them to find a coach.

I am stunned and confused. I had really worked to improve their skills because we will be moving into a more competitive travel league next year and I didn’t want them to get trounced. I understand fun, but I thought we would have more fun if we were able to compete better.

My daughter and I have worked year round for the past 4 years and she has made some pretty significant improvements. She is the only player to really focus on pitching and has done very well. Two years ago she was rated the 11th best player in travel evaluations. Now she is arguably in the top three, especially with the value she brings as a pitcher.

If we leave the program, there will be a lot of hard feelings. If we stay, it will continue to be frustrating. I wonder what good it does to play in a travel program that is indistinguishable from recreation. I just don’t see how playing poor competition makes anybody any better. Terry Collins, Mets coach, said, “To be the best, you have to play the best.” (I understand that irony... :) ) I don’t believe my daughter can approach her potential unless she can play against better teams.

Have other coaches had this problem? How have you handled this?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I see a lot of "we" in your post but it really looks like "me". Is this about you or your DD? Whatever your DD wants to do should be the direction you take...IMHO.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
You are absolutely right it is about what she wants to do. She played with a club team this year as well and had a terrific time. That is probably where we will put emphasis.

I still wonder about the town program and if there are others that have been able to turn this around. I am active on the local board and I am saddened to see the decline. Not to mention the resistance to getting better. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
I have found that across the board and in other sports, when girls are approaching 13 their interests become more defined and they realize there are personal directions they can go aside from what their parents want them to do. They also become self aware in that they know the limitations of their skills and natural abilities compared to girls around them in the environment of the sport.

It is so different from boys for sure, we don't begin doing this until our late 20s.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I feel a sense of urgency.

So do I...every morning after I have a cup of coffee.

If we leave the program, there will be a lot of hard feelings.

Don't bet on it.

Come on...we are talking about a bunch of kids playing a stupid game. This is *SOFTBALL* for crying out loud. If they don't want to work at it, fine...life is full of choices. Find a travel team for you child to play on and forget it. The world will continue to spin.

Have other coaches had this problem? How have you handled this?

Everyone who has coached a rec league team and had a "good" player for a DD has had this problem. You live in a small town, so you probably can't see the bigger picture. Only about 1 out of 10 kids like the game enough to work at it. That is just the way it is. Some people like it, and some don't.

You handle it by taking your child to play on a travel team, and wishing her former teammates good luck.

Last edited:

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Sluggers, if my daughter left the program the hard feelings would come from the parents thinking my daughter and I abandoned the program. She and I both have come under fire for playing club ball because of the occasional conflicts where we missed local (rec and travel) to go to a club tourney. Only happened three times this year. That just may be the way it has to be.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Huskerdu, I do see a dropoff at that age in softball more so than boys. The % dropoff from 6th to 7th grade is double for girls in our local program. In the girls there appears to be a much wider chasm of ability from top to bottom. The gap appears to be narrower in the boys basebal program. The boys drop off due to lack of interest or lacrosse.

Love your tag by the way. Huskerdu was a great band

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
OK, it really does seem that much of your complaint is that YOU aren't getting what YOU want, people are annoyed by what YOU are trying to do and YOU are annoyed that people are annoyed... :)

I completely understand YOUR need to coach the team in the off season, but this should be about your DD. If she isn't being challenged on the team she is on, and she WANTS to be challenged then she needs to move to a different team. Don't be concerned about the hard feelings; they either won't happen or they will be forgotten by halloween.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Coach-n-dad, I am sorry it came accross like that (me, I). Certaiinly not my intent.

Oct 18, 2009
If you really want to stay friends with those families the best thing for you and your daughter to do is leave that program entirely. She (and you) probably have different goals than the rest of the players there. Its time to move on. She (and you) will develop much faster outside her town travel team. They might be upset at first (probably not) but no one can fault you for trying to be around more like minded families.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom