travel ball regrets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
Don't worry, we all have regrets, some serious, some silly. I wish I had practiced kicking field goals as a kid. That's the only way I could have made it to the NFL.
You're fortunate enough to see a potential regret while there is still time to do something about it. Good luck!
As a side note, coaches look for ambitious go-get-'em type of players. The idk response will have to disappear.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Don't worry, we all have regrets, some serious, some silly. I wish I had practiced kicking field goals as a kid. That's the only way I could have made it to the NFL.
You're fortunate enough to see a potential regret while there is still time to do something about it. Good luck!
As a side note, coaches look for ambitious go-get-'em type of players. The idk response will have to disappear.
ok! thank you so much!!

Feb 20, 2020
Hey Mia —

My daughter had the chance to play travel, but decided to stay at Rec. It was a mistake, but she wanted to pitch and couldn’t pitch TB. it’s really my only softball regret, because it was a lousy Rec season.

But here’s my advice. Practice hitting. Find a hitting coach and hit. Get a tee and hit. Swing the bat 200 times a day. If you can hit, a coach will find a spot for you. But hit and hit and hit.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Hey Mia —

My daughter had the chance to play travel, but decided to stay at Rec. It was a mistake, but she wanted to pitch and couldn’t pitch TB. it’s really my only softball regret, because it was a lousy Rec season.

But here’s my advice. Practice hitting. Find a hitting coach and hit. Get a tee and hit. Swing the bat 200 times a day. If you can hit, a coach will find a spot for you. But hit and hit and hit.
I will my uncle is coming in the morning to hit with me and it’s the third time. i also have open gym monday. Did your daughter do hs ball or even travel during hs because i’m thinking about doing travel after the hs season and i was wondering if you had any advice for if i could because i’m not sure. also my mom doesn’t like to talk about it (TB)and thinks i ask to much. she only tells me if somethings up with my hs open gym. i’ve tried to talk to her about travel after the hs season but “i ask to much” and when it comes to my sister it’s all about her and her sports. i might miss something about the tb team if she doesn’t figure it out and ask them if they need more players. how should i talk to her?

Feb 20, 2020
My daughter started travel ball after her freshman season. A lot of the girls on her rec team did the same (we play softball in the fall here, and travel ball in the spring). She guest played a couple of tournaments the year before she was a freshman, and that's what made her make the switch.

As for your mom, one thing to consider is what the commitment for travel ball really is before you ask again. Rec ball for us was $300 for the season and all local games during the week, one game a night. We practiced one or two times a week, unless there were two games that week then there was only one practice. For travel ball, it's $2000 for the season, and every single weekend is tied up in softball, usually not somewhere local. Practice is two or three times a week, and unless you're driving that's another parental obligation. Most teams will have at least two or three out of town trips, and those ended up costing us $700 or so for the weekend. It's not cheap, and it takes the commitment of at least one parent every weekend during the summer. That's a big ask.

So I think the thing for you to ask yourself is what you want out of the game. If you want to play for your high school, then I'd talk to the coach, see if they've got a travel team and ask if you could guest play for them sometimes. Or ask some of the girls on the team if they ever need a player. That's a good way to get the travel experience without ALL of the hassle.

Is there a TB team you're interested in joining? if so, talk to their coach. Do then need players? You don't want to join any team without a tryout -- you need to see how they play compared to you. You don't want to go through all the hassle of joining a team to be the fifth player on the bench for the season. Some teams like to load their rosters to make sure they have plenty of depth, but in your situation that isn't what you need. You need to get as much playing time as you can. And as much practice.

So to answer your question, find out how much the travel ball team is before you talk to your mom. Have your facts ready before you ask to do this, because then she knows you're taking it seriously. And trust me, you'll need to take it seriously. So will she.

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
My daughter started travel ball after her freshman season. A lot of the girls on her rec team did the same (we play softball in the fall here, and travel ball in the spring). She guest played a couple of tournaments the year before she was a freshman, and that's what made her make the switch.

As for your mom, one thing to consider is what the commitment for travel ball really is before you ask again. Rec ball for us was $300 for the season and all local games during the week, one game a night. We practiced one or two times a week, unless there were two games that week then there was only one practice. For travel ball, it's $2000 for the season, and every single weekend is tied up in softball, usually not somewhere local. Practice is two or three times a week, and unless you're driving that's another parental obligation. Most teams will have at least two or three out of town trips, and those ended up costing us $700 or so for the weekend. It's not cheap, and it takes the commitment of at least one parent every weekend during the summer. That's a big ask.

So I think the thing for you to ask yourself is what you want out of the game. If you want to play for your high school, then I'd talk to the coach, see if they've got a travel team and ask if you could guest play for them sometimes. Or ask some of the girls on the team if they ever need a player. That's a good way to get the travel experience without ALL of the hassle.

Is there a TB team you're interested in joining? if so, talk to their coach. Do then need players? You don't want to join any team without a tryout -- you need to see how they play compared to you. You don't want to go through all the hassle of joining a team to be the fifth player on the bench for the season. Some teams like to load their rosters to make sure they have plenty of depth, but in your situation that isn't what you need. You need to get as much playing time as you can. And as much practice.

So to answer your question, find out how much the travel ball team is before you talk to your mom. Have your facts ready before you ask to do this, because then she knows you're taking it seriously. And trust me, you'll need to take it seriously. So will she.
I’ve been very very regretful these past months for not playing travel when i had the chance. I’m ready to do this. I have a team and i think they need players. my sister played about a year and a half ago so my mom knows what it’s like. My uncle hits with me and hs is going to teach me a lot. last question did your daughter play any other sports? I feel really un athletic compared to my cousins and siblings and i get mad at myself because i could’ve been if i made the right choices. but i try my best not to think about it and just think about the future.

Aug 25, 2019
Hey Mia, my DD is not the most athletic player around, she's short and slow, but she can hit and plays the field well, so don't worry about being unathletic. Like whiporee said, if you can hit hit hit, you'll do fine.

Reactions: Mia

Mia

Dec 21, 2020
Hey Mia, my DD is not the most athletic player around, she's short and slow, but she can hit and plays the field well, so don't worry about being unathletic. Like whiporee said, if you can hit hit hit, you'll do fine.
okay thank you!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478