Travel ball pracice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Here is my typical, non-answer answer. It depends on the girl.

I know some POs that I would never even bother to put in the dirt. Period. They are very good pitchers, but athletically, clearly no amount of training is going to make them athletic enough to be taken seriously in the field. I would clear that kid, no problem. Heck one of the pitchers on my DDs team runs to first and its like pulling a stubborn mule to get her to even consider legging out a double. When you can pitch well, you can get away with that kind of stuff. Obviously you need to be pretty good to be able to get away with that though.

I know just as many kids that do the opposite as well. They are the best, most athletic player on the team and you want them in your lineup no matter what. That kid is going to have to put in the work. It may not be fair, but nothing ever is.

Both are perfectly acceptable. HS and college coaches, depending on what they need, will still be interested. I wouldn't worry to much about it. I would really hope if you talked to a coach about your feelings, they would take that into consideration. I consider myself a pretty serious minded person about sports, training, and winning, but pitchers are just way too valuable. Its the only spot on the field where being a diva can be ignored.

Good points and a lot depends on the team the pitcher is on. DD bats 4th in HS on a team loaded with low "A" travel players. On her travel team she bats once in a great while, as we have bangers who destroy the ball. That and our coach resists putting pitchers in danger running bases even on the home to first. LOL He prays for homers to keep the running dull and uninteresting. Our pitchers are the most aggressive base runners on the team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812