Travel Ball is Killing Rec Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for letting me know this. I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t have her in travel ball. Wtf is glammis lmao guess it would be fair for me to say since you can lump everyone into a pile that doesn’t play tb that the only reason people have their dd in travel then is bc they think they are too special for rec ball. They are trying to live through their kids bc they weren’t good enough to play tb back when it was more elite level talent.

Glammis is a popular spot for sand cars and ATVs in So Cal.

I put my kid in TB when I felt it was the best time for her continued development, a good fit for her skill level, and our family was ready to make the commitment to it. Does that make me an elitist that thinks my kid is "too special for rec"? How about this?... I evaluated my DD's abilities and desire for a higher level of competition in comparison with what I saw in our local rec league, and realized that her progress was going to be limited if she stayed with rec ball. In the 4 years since making that decision, not once have we ever thought we made the move at the wrong time.

I didn't put my kid in TB "back when it was more elite level talent" because my kid wasn't old enough to play softball back then. I'm not sure how one works around that issue. (Honestly, I'm not sure when that was, but you make it seem like a long time ago.)

The reality is that there are LOTS of different reasons to leave rec ball, and there are reasons to stay. Not all situations are the same for everyone.

May 6, 2015
I don't think that is true at all, some kids who are in rec at least in ours at one time did play travel ball. Some left because of lying coaches, politics, others left because of complications with divorced parents. We are considering changing to rec only, because of bad coaches, lying to kids and parents multiple not just us, and shady things happening.
trust me, that all happens in rec too!

Mar 21, 2019
Glammis is a popular spot for sand cars and ATVs in So Cal.

I put my kid in TB when I felt it was the best time for her continued development, a good fit for her skill level, and our family was ready to make the commitment to it. Does that make me an elitist that thinks my kid is "too special for rec"? How about this?... I evaluated my DD's abilities and desire for a higher level of competition in comparison with what I saw in our local rec league, and realized that her progress was going to be limited if she stayed with rec ball. In the 4 years since making that decision, not once have we ever thought we made the move at the wrong time.

I didn't put my kid in TB "back when it was more elite level talent" because my kid wasn't old enough to play softball back then. I'm not sure how one works around that issue. (Honestly, I'm not sure when that was, but you make it seem like a long time ago.)

The reality is that there are LOTS of different reasons to leave rec ball, and there are reasons to stay. Not all situations are the same for everyone.

I was just being a smartass to him bc of his post on this and the 10u thread where he asked if they were window lickers that wasn’t directed at anyone else on the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 3, 2018
I've got two daughters, one first year 10u and one first year of 8u. They both play rec but the 10u is a travel baller already because our rec leagues are so very weak. We have 3 "strong" 10u teams in our organization, but we play 5 other teams from different organizations and they're not very good. When my daughter is on a team with mostly first year 10u girls and they're winning games 17-7 and 19-5, it's time to take her where she can play against girls that can throw strikes and make some plays in the field.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've got two daughters, one first year 10u and one first year of 8u. They both play rec but the 10u is a travel baller already because our rec leagues are so very weak. We have 3 "strong" 10u teams in our organization, but we play 5 other teams from different organizations and they're not very good. When my daughter is on a team with mostly first year 10u girls and they're winning games 17-7 and 19-5, it's time to take her where she can play against girls that can throw strikes and make some plays in the field.

Is your DD one of the very best players on her team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robertsonwhitney45