Travel Ball is Killing Rec Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
Would you rather travel teams fold or rec teams?

There are X amount of players, why does it matter if they are playing travel ball or rec ball. If rec leagues are dying they did it to themselves by watering down the level of play to the point that everyone with a clue bounces out before their 11th birthday
I think it is more the marginal TB team siphoning off the decent to pretty good rec players. each cycle makes both TB and rec weaker.

played a TB league game earlier this week, won 17-0, it was as described, 4-5 decent players (maybe 6), the rest were filling spots.

May 6, 2015
I take it one of the 4 or 5 wasn't a pitcher..LOL!!
actually pitching was only thing that was decent. DDs team hit pretty well, but not 17-0 well. but the pitchers gave our girls stuff to hit, and they did, but defense was not great. and 17-0 was with a 5 run limit per inning (TB with run limits kinda illustrates the point, way too many travel teams and players).

Jun 8, 2016
actually pitching was only thing that was decent. DDs team hit pretty well, but not 17-0 well. but the pitchers gave our girls stuff to hit, and they did, but defense was not great. and 17-0 was with a 5 run limit per inning (TB with run limits kinda illustrates the point, way too many travel teams and players).
Yes, a kid who can throw strikes but isn't overpowering is going to have problems if her defense isn't any good..lol.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks i think so too. It was sarcasm to go with theme of how this thread has gone lol but she’s off to a great start through 4 games. Still has a perfect BA and OBP. Swinging it pretty good this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect BA through 4 games? She should play travel ball and get more challenge.

Mar 21, 2019

Yeah she ruined that game 5 when she grounded out to first. Prolly needs to stay where she’s at and develop for another year. She’s only batting .875 with a .933 OBP now. She wasn’t pleased lol

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019

Also should mention it’s not that special considering a simple understanding of the strike zone goes a long ways. 7 of 15 times at the plate she’s either been walked or HBP. So even if she never got a hit she’d have almost .500 obp.

Last edited:

J.Galt

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
People leave their kids in park and rec because they don't want to give up the trips to the river or Glammis. The training, the games, the tournaments...in travel ball are better than what rec has to offer. The only reason they stay in rec is because the family doesn't want to commit to travel ball

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019
People leave their kids in park and rec because they don't want to give up the trips to the river or Glammis. The training, the games, the tournaments...in travel ball are better than what rec has to offer. The only reason they stay in ref is because the family doesn't want to commit to travel ball

Thanks for letting me know this. I couldn’t figure out why I didn’t have her in travel ball. Wtf is glammis lmao guess it would be fair for me to say since you can lump everyone into a pile that doesn’t play tb that the only reason people have their dd in travel then is bc they think they are too special for rec ball. They are trying to live through their kids bc they weren’t good enough to play tb back when it was more elite level talent.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
People leave their kids in park and rec because they don't want to give up the trips to the river or Glammis. The training, the games, the tournaments...in travel ball are better than what rec has to offer. The only reason they stay in ref is because the family doesn't want to commit to travel ball

I don't think that is true at all, some kids who are in rec at least in ours at one time did play travel ball. Some left because of lying coaches, politics, others left because of complications with divorced parents. We are considering changing to rec only, because of bad coaches, lying to kids and parents multiple not just us, and shady things happening.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2