Travel ball high school balance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I've usually complained about my lame state having High School softball as a Fall sport. Both my girls love softball and volleyball, and basically can't do both at High School (even though they'd make both teams). Oh well.

However, the fact that Softball is the same season as football has allowed them to just be a student and go to Football games and cheer on the team. They've enjoyed that and while Travel Softball would interfere with that many weekends, we don't have that conflict.

We do take 6-8 weeks off in Nov/Dec/Jan were we only do weights. She comes back healthy and strong.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Some coaches are probably too controlling, too old school, too dumb to use split workouts times. Split workout times and being trusted to work on your own (or small group) to balance schedules is a much better way to manage/coach a team.
The modivated self starter type will rise and the lazy tic toccers will fall to the wayside.
Somebody on dfp once said something along the lines that adding a few players to your team that threaten the existing players playtime will produce better results than adding another hour to practice. Work smarter.
And some College Programs have mandatory study hall.

Apr 17, 2019
... and maybe the coach replaces the player with someone else.
Ya that’s the fear of most parents and that’s probably why we just go along with it.
We do take 6-8 weeks off in Nov/Dec/Jan were we only do weights. She comes back healthy and strong.
That’s what we’re attempting to do, bo softball activities November-January, only working out and lifting. January start backup and get ready for high school.

Dec 6, 2019
Isn’t it sad that we ask middle and high school kids to put more time into their sport than a college athlete? I wish there was a way for one person to fix it, but man, youth sports are broken…and probably permanently.
My daughter, who plays in college, was having softball withdrawals her freshman year of college because of the huge reduction in overall softball activity. Granted, she plays D3. But she was used to playing every weekend in the fall, and then only got to play 1 day in the fall because of the rules. It was a huge adjustment.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I've usually complained about my lame state having High School softball as a Fall sport.
Do you have any idea why they do that? I know there are something like eight states that do it that way. When does baseball play in Georgia? How about LL?

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Do you have any idea why they do that? I know there are something like eight states that don't that way. When does baseball play in Georgia? How about LL?
In OK, where fastpitch is in the Fall, baseball is in spring..no way they would have baseball and football together (which I am sure is true in GA as well)

In the spring in OK they have HS (and MS…) slowpitch which is a huge discussion topic around here as the fastpitch and slowpitch coaches are often the same and sometimes some “blackmailing” goes on to get fastpitch players to play slowpitch….

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
In OK, where fastpitch is in the Fall, baseball is in spring..no way they would have baseball and football together (which I am sure is true in GA as well)

In the spring in OK they have HS (and MS…) slowpitch which is a huge discussion topic around here as the fastpitch and slowpitch coaches are often the same and sometimes some “blackmailing” goes on to get fastpitch players to play slowpitch….
Did I read that right, y’all have school FP and SP?

Jun 8, 2016
Did I read that right, y’all have school FP and SP?
Yup..it’s dumb. I think it is the only State in the country which has school SP. Causes all kinds of conflict between TB coaches and HS coaches in the spring since, like I said, a lot of the SP coaches coach FP as well and “expect” their FP players to play SP. Marcela playing hoop as well will give her an excuse not to play SP as the seasons overlap some. ..Plus the FP team stinks anyway so if they she cannot play FP if she doesn’t play SP she will say oh well..

Last edited: