Travel Ball costs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2020
Besides dealing with parents, I'm assuming that the biggest hurdle for most travel teams are costs and expenses? I've done some searching on the site but I was looking for some more concrete answers to help me gauge what will be needed to get started. My 8U team is part of an organization that has already been formed and we play primarily FASA and USFA.

We are leaning towards 6 tourneys each season, running anywhere from 150-250 each (fall ball and spring/summer session). The older teams provide 2 jerseys and a bat bag to each girl. (they get to keep for life). As far as equipment, what are your must haves or equipment to avoid? We have invested in 2 hit away nets, a few tees, a few dozen softballs and whiffle balls. I'm going to add tennis balls to help develop their catching skills, but those costs are relatively low, so I've taken care of them already.

So what else should we ask for in fees? Tournaments, uniforms, sanction fees, etc.

My DD charges $300 but I'm not sure if that is too high for an 8U team? We are working on a few bigger sponsors and of course will pick up smaller sponsors as we can.

Thanks for any help ya'll can provide.

May 6, 2015
DEfinitely more balls. need at least probably 3 dz, and scrounge more buckets (I never buy buckets).

at that age, I would not worry to much about matching bags, helmets, etc. If you really want helmets to match, have a parent painting party in the parking lot while the girls practice (have each family take cage of helmet, tape up inside padding, write name on tape, and you supply spray paint (have to be careful here, but lots of online advise for this), and paint them. can paint cages to at same time as well.

depending on colors, you may even be able to forgo purchasing pants as a team (if pants are to be black or gray, a lot of families already have black or gray pants from rec/practice.

Jul 22, 2020
DEfinitely more balls. need at least probably 3 dz, and scrounge more buckets (I never buy buckets).

at that age, I would not worry to much about matching bags, helmets, etc. If you really want helmets to match, have a parent painting party in the parking lot while the girls practice (have each family take cage of helmet, tape up inside padding, write name on tape, and you supply spray paint (have to be careful here, but lots of online advise for this), and paint them. can paint cages to at same time as well.

depending on colors, you may even be able to forgo purchasing pants as a team (if pants are to be black or gray, a lot of families already have black or gray pants from rec/practice.

The program we are apart of wants all the teams to have matching bags, the helmets not so much I don't believe. We wear white and red pants that the kids are responsible for. We are definitely adding a few dozen more balls and buckets ( get them free from work).

Insurance, Balls more than you think, cage fees, field rentals, ump fees, have a couple extra jerseys even if they are cheap ones that are the same color.

From what I have gathered the organization as a whole pays for insurance, field rentals and ump fees (if we have in town games or a tourney. The extra jerseys idea is another great point, than you. Because the board takes care of all those fees we are responsible for gathering sponsors throughout the year, but in this local small community they usually don't mind throwing 20-40 bucks a season. When my DD started back in March (before COVID crisis) we were aiming for 100 sponsors for the year and I know we were getting close to that number.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It's been 11 years since DD played in a 10U tourney, and even back then tourney fees started around 250 and went north of 400. Unless you are paying the umps on top of that your number is low. Tourneys help clubs make money. I can't think of any that want to put in that much work for free.

Jul 22, 2020
this is weird, I would think helmets would be bigger priority, as they are more visible. unless they insist, at that age, dont bothere with bags.

Now that I have thought about it, all the other teams have matching helmets and bags. This goes for all 3 teams already established (14,12,10). I personally don't care if they have matching bags and bats but if the board and organization want that (seems like most of the girls love having everything match the team colors) then that's just an expense we have handle.

It's been 11 years since DD played in a 10U tourney, and even back then tourney fees started around 250 and went north of 400. Unless you are paying the umps on top of that your number is low. Tourneys help clubs make money. I can't think of any that want to put in that much work for free.

$150 entry & $35 pay-at-the-plate is from the website of the tourney my DD is playing in next states. I could have misread what this means. Does this mean pay $35 at the plate of every game? If so then yes I did have my numbers off and thanks for pointing that out for me.

Apr 20, 2015
Now that I have thought about it, all the other teams have matching helmets and bags. This goes for all 3 teams already established (14,12,10). I personally don't care if they have matching bags and bats but if the board and organization want that (seems like most of the girls love having everything match the team colors) then that's just an expense we have handle.

$150 entry & $35 pay-at-the-plate is from the website of the tourney my DD is playing in next states. I could have misread what this means. Does this mean pay $35 at the plate of every game? If so then yes I did have my numbers off and thanks for pointing that out for me.
Yes it does each game 35 in cash....so win more pay more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28