Travel Ball costs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 22, 2020
You will go broke at $300 per player. Jerseys, pants, bat bags, helmets, and socks can easily be north of $200 per player.
We are only paying for jerseys, bags and helmets. My DD on 10U pays $300 and we have brought in a few hundred in sponsorship from local companies. Most of the girls have sisters on the older teams, so I can't imagine squeezing more money out of parents if its not needed.

Jun 26, 2020
I'm currently doing the same thing. Field costs can jump up in a hurry. Get your ducks in a row and add 10%. You'll be in the 800 per player range

ez_softball

Life at the diamond...
Apr 14, 2017
$300 is bargain basement for any level travel ball. I am as frugal as anyone and ran a tournament team on $400/player x 12 players. We played in 6 local tournaments and a league which combined ran almost $2500. We had about $200/player into 2 sets of complete, decent quality uniforms... we didn't buy players bags or helmets. Do the math and I am over $400/player and I haven't bought any equipment, player cards, gym rentals or done any team activities. That team cost me over $1500 out of my own pocket by the time we were done with the season.

I will be starting another tournament team up at some point and the minimum will be $1000/player for a spring/summer season.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
DD’s team is 1st year 12’s and we were close to (if not over) 2k this spring if you include travel costs. Still (much) cheaper than the HI vacation we took every summer before TB (DW is from HI)...

Apr 20, 2015
Our 10u team should have cost 1600 for fall winter and spring combined 12 tournaments winter practice 2 uniforms bag and helmet. As it stands due to covid cancellations we only collected 1200 and will be issuing back about 100 dollars per family. Where I'm at indoor winter practice is a budget killer!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2020
Thanks for all the replies. It has definitely given me more to look at seeing the different prices parents are paying for travel ball. Cages and indoor practices aren't a thing where we are from (none built or usable within 50 miles). Field costs aren't an issue as any public park can be used if not occupied by another team or event. We do have some parks that charge a fee to use so I will factor that in as well.

Another question, is how much turn-over can I expect, from parents not wanting to pay or thinking the fee is too high? I plan on having the first meeting once I have 13-15 girls interested, and I expect a few of their parents to back out do to the fees. Any suggestion on if I should aim for more or less girls? I suppose if more girls get interested soon, we could do a full blown tryout?

Jul 22, 2020
A roster of 13-15 girls makes it hard to keep player/parents happy with playing time. I shoot for a min of 11 and max of 13 players. It really gets more difficult with less than or more than those numbers IMO.
I'm aiming to end up with 12, assuming a few parents back out due to fees or not being able to accept that their kid doesn't play every inning.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I'm aiming to end up with 12, assuming a few parents back out due to fees or not being able to accept that their kid doesn't play every inning.
It's too bad that the costs keep a lot of kids from playing high level sports but it's a reality. The costs don't have to be as high as we paid for DD's HS years but even with lower fees there is the travel which is usually more than the fees.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom