Transitions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Ummm......how did I miss this??! OMG!!! This is amazing!!! What a phenomenal school - and what an exceptional young lady to get accepted there!!!! Huge congratulations to her and you - I know this wasn‘t an easy journey! Wow - Princeton - you must be extremely proud!!

Jun 7, 2016
Vertigo,
I will pass along your well wishes, thank you. She is done HS softball, ended on a (relatively) good note (she set school single season strikeout record) but lost first round playoff in a thrilling game (ugh, if we only had basic defense!):

Graduation is Thursday, awaiting her speech with trepidation, as she can be a bit tart at times. Starting last summer of TB this weekend. Late August, both DDs will be in college and DW & I will be empty nesters. I am hoping to enjoy the beach, birding and other activities that were deferred while seeing both thru to adulthood.
Hope you and family fared well thru covid, and best to your DD in her post HS pursuits!

May 27, 2013
Vertigo,
I will pass along your well wishes, thank you. She is done HS softball, ended on a (relatively) good note (she set school single season strikeout record) but lost first round playoff in a thrilling game (ugh, if we only had basic defense!):

Graduation is Thursday, awaiting her speech with trepidation, as she can be a bit tart at times. Starting last summer of TB this weekend. Late August, both DDs will be in college and DW & I will be empty nesters. I am hoping to enjoy the beach, birding and other activities that were deferred while seeing both thru to adulthood.
Hope you and family fared well thru covid, and best to your DD in her post HS pursuits!

Thanks, Rich!

Hope graduation went well. HS season ended way too soon for us as we don’t participate in post-season play (we are not a PIAA school in PA). The conference had a “for fun” tournament at the end of our season since pre-season the conference decided not to have a champion this year due to Covid. We wound up losing to a school we beat twice - but went undefeated otherwise. It seems like after a week off our team forgot how to play softball - but it was a great season, nonetheless. With only 4 travel players, they did a great job as a team!

Sad to see this chapter end - but on to new and exciting beginnings! DD’s college team has a very strong recruiting class coming in this year so will be fun to see what they can do if they have a full season next spring!

Again, congrats to your dd and please be sure to stop in here once in a while to say hi!!

Jul 5, 2016
As a followup, I just finished reading "Who gets in and why" by Jeffrey Selingo. I highly recommend this book to parents who have children who are considering college to read it to better prepare for hind
the application process. While he focuses on the "elite" schools, I think the information presented can benefit most students and families embarking on this journey. My most important take away for families is to start early (wisdom earned by doing this twice).

Congratulations to your daughter. My impression of kids that get into the top schools is that they are well-rounded achievers with enthusiasm for life rather than just checking the boxes. I would wager that her admission was 95% her and 5% you. Would you agree. Obviously kids need some guidance through the process - tests, applications, essays - but they stuff that really matters is what they have done with the 1st 18 years of their lives.

With some benefit of hindsight, if you have a good kid - kind person, involved in school, achieves academically according to their abilities, college will take care of itself. Most likely, they can get into a college that will 1) challenge them and 2) give them a door to the world if they choose to open it.

Apr 28, 2014
What an incredible journey that will see Char attend an amazing IVY league school.
You must be so very proud! That's a dream come true. So happy to hear the news and excited for her future! Wow!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812