Transitions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 7, 2016
DD decided Sunday on the next phase of her life. Unfortunately, softball seems like it will be a small part of it.
She started late as a serious softball player, no TB until summer of 8th grade. She worked hard at it, progressed nicely but was always behind the other players who comitted earlier. She also always had a different goal and while she made time to do pitch lessons and the like, she never wavered from her commitment to academics.
Earlier in Jr. year, she eliminated D1 as a softball avenue, as she did not want the travel to interfere with classes nor did she like the idea of being "owned" by the coaching staff. She pursued D3 schools as long as they fit her academic goals. Shortly after starting Sr. year, a LAC program (that she liked) reached out and asked her to submit for a pre-read. While waiting, she found a school she loved and decided to apply ED to Uchicago. When the preread returned, the coach asked her to apply ED but she declined to pursue a guaranteed admission with softball over the uncertainty of her academic pursuit. We waited until late December for a decision and was denied at Uchicago. She was disappointed for sure, but knew that highly selective schools are no easy thing for even super qualified candidates. Moved to submit apps to the rest of the schools on the list and we resigned to wait until late March.
She started receiving decisions mid March thru first week of April. In the end she had a nice selection of admissions letters (RD box score: 7PA, 6H, 1WL*) and set about to decide which was best for her. The final decision was between two Ivies, UPenn and Princeton. She decided Sunday afternoon to study Chemistry at Princeton University. I like to hope (a least a small) part of the decision was made with the knowledge that PU had a thriving club team (pre-covid) and that she will be able to continue to play. She is very competitive and derives much joy from playing, but time will tell.
I want to express my gratitude to all those who have provided direct help and support such as BT3100, Vertigo, Marriard, JAD, Doug Romrell, riseball and of course BM & Java, (anyone I missed, know your contributions were appreciated) and to all those who posted helpful information but who I've never spoken with directly, thank you. As for myself, I hope to continue following the board and watching some of the younger friends my DD made continue their HS and college careers.
Best, Rich

college.jpg

*waitlist

Last edited:
May 1, 2018
Um.... wow. Sounds like you she is killing it and that is a credit to you killing it as a parent. Awesome job!!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
High academic acceptances are already big wins.

Congrats to your daughter - great program at a great school.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
Outstanding! I know this is a softball forum, but this is the kind of Shameless Parent Brag that I can 100% get behind. Best of luck to your daughter at Princeton, and I hope that club team is still there post-COVID to allow her to continue to play.

Jun 7, 2016
As a followup, I just finished reading "Who gets in and why" by Jeffrey Selingo. I highly recommend this book to parents who have children who are considering college to read it to better prepare for the application process. While he focuses on the "elite" schools, I think the information presented can benefit most students and families embarking on this journey. My most important take away for families is to start early (wisdom earned by doing this twice).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2