Transitioning to 12 inch ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2019
Hello fellow softball enthusiasts,

My DD turned 11 years old in March and therefore, is still playing 10U. I've been concerned about her transition to the 12 inch and extra 5 feet. Her pitching coach says to not worry about it while in season because it will mess with her accuracy. I'm just worried that she may not be as prepared for tryouts as some other pitchers may be. Her mechanics are not bad for a 10U player. Want to know what others plan on doing or have done in this situation. Here is a slow-motion view of her pitching kind of from the side. Not the best angle. Didn't want to mess with her warm-ups.

May 29, 2015
As an umpire: Hopefully that was just a warm-up thing, but I’d work on getting rid of the illegal step if it isn’t.:)

As a former coach/dad (well, still a dad!): I agree with your coach on not messing with it in season. Work on the adjustments in the off season (is there an off season any more?). With my daughter we took a break after the season and then just jumped into it. It kind of gave her mind time to “forget” so she didn’t “feel” the differences so readily. Repetition is the key, so get as many pitches as you can at lessons, in a gym, etc.

As a fellow Illinoisan: wonder if I’ve umpired any of your games! (Because, you know we all live in Chicago and know Homer Simpson.)

Jun 8, 2019
As an umpire: Hopefully that was just a warm-up thing, but I’d work on getting rid of the illegal step if it isn’t.:)

As a former coach/dad (well, still a dad!): I agree with your coach on not messing with it in season. Work on the adjustments in the off season (is there an off season any more?). With my daughter we took a break after the season and then just jumped into it. It kind of gave her mind time to “forget” so she didn’t “feel” the differences so readily. Repetition is the key, so get as many pitches as you can at lessons, in a gym, etc.

As a fellow Illinoisan: wonder if I’ve umpired any of your games! (Because, you know we all live in Chicago and know Homer Simpson.)

Yes! Step was just a warm-up thing. She definitely does not take that step in games.

I keep telling myself not to worry during the inseason, but just can't get it out of my head. Pitching coach says that everyone will go through the same struggles at her age so trying my best to not worry. Tryouts are a week after the season is over so getting her ready in a short amount of time is what worries me the most.

You may have umpired one of our games! Elite Fastpitch. Just at glen ellyn invitational this weekend.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Don’t worry about.........it’s something your DD, and everyone else’s DD has to do together, no getting around it, they’re all in the same boat!

My DD had to transition to a 12” ball and from 35’ to 43’ the very same week! And yeah it sucked for a short period but we got through it just fine.

Jun 8, 2019
Don’t worry about.........it’s something your DD, and everyone else’s DD has to do together, no getting around it, they’re all in the same boat!

My DD had to transition to a 12” ball and from 35’ to 43’ the very same week! And yeah it sucked for a short period but we got through it just fine.

Whoa! That is a huge gap to work through in a week. How long did it take to adjust?

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD did long toss so the transion was OK. If not doing already your DD should be doing long toss with the 11" ball.

Hitting was a bigger adjustment for her then pitching. It took a little while for the ball to go any where.

Jan 28, 2017
PC always makes DD pitch from 43. Still playing 12U but only throws 43. Threw 43 when she was playing 10U,, so the distance was not an issue.

Moving to the 12 inch ball, we worked about 3/4 speed for a week and then throw hard. I honestly think she threw it harder the first day but it took her almost a year to get her change up back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802