Transitioning from Coach pitch to Kid Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
Any advice Guys for transitioning from Coach pitch to Kid Pitch as far as batting. Personally I was thinking of when to start her gather with the pitcher. Any thing else. My Daughter just finished her last bout of 8u coach pitch. Entering into new territory now lol.

Jul 16, 2019
In my opinion, the more sessions with a pitcher, the better. I put my DD with a hitting coach whom pitched to her at speeds above any 10U she faced and I also pitched to her. She did well in both situations, but still wasn't comfortable when she faced an actual pitcher. I think this is due to trusting an adult to be able to avoid hitting her.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Like you mention starting their gather with the pitchers motion. In coach pitch they wait to see where the ball is going and if the want to start their swing. Depending on the quality of pitching she might face you don't have time to wait and see if you want to swing.

Oct 2, 2017
In my opinion, the more sessions with a pitcher, the better. I put my DD with a hitting coach whom pitched to her at speeds above any 10U she faced and I also pitched to her. She did well in both situations, but still wasn't comfortable when she faced an actual pitcher. I think this is due to trusting an adult to be able to avoid hitting her.

This is funny, because after we were riding home from her last game of the season. I said to my DD, "Well no more coach pitch now!" she said, "Yep, its time fore me to get hit and take my base!" :LOL:

Oct 2, 2017
Like you mention starting their gather with the pitchers motion. In coach pitch they wait to see where the ball is going and if the want to start their swing. Depending on the quality of pitching she might face you don't have time to wait and see if you want to swing.

She does a great job of starting with the pitcher in coach pitch. So now hopefully that can carry over into kid pitch. You start when the windmill start to come forward and up to swing around right? Forward and the top of the arm circle.

Jun 8, 2016
She does a great job of starting with the pitcher in coach pitch. So now hopefully that can carry over into kid pitch. You start when the windmill start to come forward and up to swing around right? Forward and the top of the arm circle.
More or less..she is going to have figure that part out for herself based upon her style and the actual pitcher (in the on deck circle). It won't take too long for her to adjust.

Jul 16, 2019
This is funny, because after we were riding home from her last game of the season. I said to my DD, "Well no more coach pitch now!" she said, "Yep, its time fore me to get hit and take my base!" :LOL:
We do have a couple of kids that will take them, but the majority do not want a part of it.
:D We play Dixie, which changed their birthday dates, so the only kids that have faced a pitcher were travel ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee