Transitioning from Coach pitch to Kid Pitch

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
The short answer is that it will take a lot of AB's. Hopefully your league has kids who throw some strikes.

"Some" I think is probably the best bet from the little I've watched at league. The only amount she has seen is during her team practices. The girls who are going to pitch in 10u when they moved up from 8u threw some. I think I need to find a team or player that will let her sit in on some practices.

Feb 14, 2019
"Some" I think is probably the best bet from the little I've watched at league. The only amount she has seen is during her team practices. The girls who are going to pitch in 10u when they moved up from 8u threw some. I think I need to find a team or player that will let her sit in on some practices.

She will make the adjustment just fine, might just take a little time but she works hard and will get it...The biggest piece of advice I'd give is to not let a good pitch go by because that may be the only one she sees that at bat (sometimes all game in 10u!).

Jun 8, 2016
She will make the adjustment just fine, might just take a little time but she works hard and will get it...The biggest piece of advice I'd give is to not let a good pitch go by because that may be the only one she sees that at bat (sometimes all game in 10u!).
This is why I moved my kid to TB once I decided she was ready for kid pitch..I didn't have the patience to watch 30 walks a game. First year kid pitch TB around here (e.g. in OK where C1 is from) is pretty good in terms of kids throwing strikes. That said I think C1 said his DD was going to play rec for now so his mileage may vary..

Jul 16, 2019
We played 10U, mostly U-Trip, last fall and didn't face many teams that didn't have pitchers throwing strikes. The biggest challenges I seen were fear of the pitcher and breaking the habit of waiting for the perfect pitch.

Feb 14, 2019
This is why I moved my kid to TB once I decided she was ready for kid pitch..I didn't have the patience to watch 30 walks a game. First year kid pitch TB around here (e.g. in OK where C1 is from) is pretty good in terms of kids throwing strikes. That said I think C1 said his DD was going to play rec for now so his mileage may vary..

I am about 20 miles from where C1 lives and first year kid pitch around here is definitely a crap shoot on getting strikes very consistently. His girl is a tough cookie and hard worker and I have complete confidence she will transition to kid pitch just fine. Just have to jump on the good pitches when you get 'em!

Oct 2, 2017
Just a update: DD has been doing well with hitting in the practice sessions she has had against actual kid pitch. I don't have any video of those. I do know that she still stuggles with a bit of bat drag, Would focusing on the hands being more active help? The video below you can see her elbow jet down quickly. I haven't been able to break her of that habit.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Your daughters hand are coming forward with the stride causing the barrel/hands to collapse into the body. If I had to sum it up in a short description I would say she is trying to swing through the body instead of around.

Yes if the hands are dead and just collapsing into the body, then getting them more active should help.

There are two train of thoughts for defeating bat drag. One is bat drag is a result of disconnection. Meaning the hands aren't connected to the body. The other is the hands are dead and need to be more active. I think it's a combination of both.

Oct 2, 2017
Your daughters hand are coming forward with the stride causing the barrel/hands to collapse into the body. If I had to sum it up in a short description I would say she is trying to swing through the body instead of around.

Yes if the hands are dead and just collapsing into the body, then getting them more active should help.

There are two train of thoughts for defeating bat drag. One is bat drag is a result of disconnection. Meaning the hands aren't connected to the body. The other is the hands are dead and need to be more active. I think it's a combination of both.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to picture this in my head. Wouldn't swing around the body produce a casting, around the ball swing? We don't to swing around the ball but to and through the ball, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812