training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 15, 2008
Mark - I am writing about my 12 year old daughter, who is a pitcher. I purchased your maximum speed pitching package , and did have her do that for a while, however due to time constraints, and her age , and other mitigating circumstances it is virtually impossible to do the program. I am requesting some direction as to what I can have her do , now that the season is here . I need a basis for a routine (pitching, and conditioning , core and cardio) What I mean by pitching , I am requesting some pointers on a pitching routine while in season , ie. warmup , and drills.

FastpitchFan

Softball fan
Feb 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hi vince, I already answered your question on the phone but want to add a few things. When you are in-season, the key is not to increase fitness but to maintain it. So it is not normal that during the course of a season, you cannot or don't have the time to complete the full pitching program because of games and practices.

So, the key when you are a pitcher especially is to definitely focus on pitching practice and games and just to throw 1-2 sessions a week of fitness at the end of pitching workouts or on days off just to maintain your fitness level. The longer, harder fitness workouts should be done in the off-season. In the off-season, you build strength, power, and speed but in season, you just want to maintain it and you do so but doing shorter but intense workouts 1-2x per week. So, in the package, pick the maintenance phase and complete it 1-2 x per week.

A few options.. I would do pitching practice 3 times per week and do some conditioning during 1 or 2 of those sessions after the practice for about 10-20 minutes. That is sufficient to get something out of it.

At 12 years old, I would not focus on doing any cardio work. It will not really help her. You should do it in the off-season. You time is better spent doing pitching practice and doing some strength and power maintenance exercises.

Marc
Softball Peak Performance Coach
www.softballperformance.com

Attachments

• nat pitch..jpg
    nat pitch..jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 8
  • nat batting..jpg
    nat batting..jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2
  • nat catch..jpg
    nat catch..jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
May 7, 2008
Tucson
You can always encourage a 12 yo to run. Maybe you can run with her. That will improve her cario, her stamina and her core strength.

G

guggly

mechanically speaking, one of the issues that came up inevitably in this discussion was the old step vs drag discussion and more insight into mechanics and arm whip among other things.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28