Tournaments have Started -- Seeing any Broken Bats?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Anna texted me and the wife yesterday, her college is considering going to online classes, in fact she said they’re working on it. If that’s the case she said they’ll cancel the softball season and not make it up!

They’re roughly 20 of 60 games in so far. :mad::mad::mad:

Jun 8, 2016
Have any of you dads ever tried having your DD’s hit a ball on the barrel of her bat, it works SO much better! ;)
I know you are joking, kind of, but I've always wondered about this. Obviously with wood you break a bat by not hitting it off the barrel but do composites behave in the same way?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Obviously with wood you break a bat by not hitting it off the barrel but do composites behave in the same way?
From a non-engineers perspective, I'd almost say yeah. Not sure just how many bats Anna has broken, 4 or 5? But of those she's broken, just one was at the connection, two of them were just crushed in right in the face / sweet part of the barrel, and two I think were broken inside with severe rattles. So except for the one broken at the connection, that really goes against what I was saying about mishits? I was trying to be a smart a$$, but nooooo.

Of course I was joking, why do you always make me have to explain myself pattar? Making me think is painful sometimes! ;)

And BTW, every bat she has broken has been an LXT, she's never broken a Ghost, and her Ghost has THOUSANDS of hits on it!

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Composite bats in general have way more things that can break. Not just the fact that composite
in general, for bats are made so thin now that they aren't made for the long haul, they are made to perform because
people want "hot out of the wrapper" nowadays :). All these things can break with normal hits, no mishits needed.

On a side note and completely off topic, nothing nicer than Bryce Harpers USA wood bat Marucci made for him a while back.

Last edited:
May 19, 2017
We are sending back our second 2020 ghost. Both failed in middle of barrel at the same spot in about a month. Seems like a weak spot or design flaw. Tee and front toss only.

Apr 28, 2019
Daughter's team has/had a contract with 20 bats. 13 broke after practice and 1st tourney. No comment on what they did for last 2 tourneys but season has now been cancelled so doesn't really matter

What brand was the contract with? Sounds like you got a seriously bad batch.

Apr 28, 2019
We are sending back our second 2020 ghost. Both failed in middle of barrel at the same spot in about a month. Seems like a weak spot or design flaw. Tee and front toss only.

I’m not surprised. The 2020 is same composite as the 2018 that has/had durability issues.
Our 2020 DS is holding-up fine so far. Started using in October. I will say we use other bats for BP and save the Ghosts for games.
Shouldn’t have to be this way but I want to get at least a year out of the Ghosts. Returns are a hassle I would rather avoid.

Aug 16, 2019
NORTH TEXAS
My Dd has a small horseshoe shape crack in middle of the barrel of her 2019 dual stamp. we got the advanced from core so I could ship it back, but have convinced the coach its just a paint crack for the moment since she has hit 2 bombs with it.. No performance issues or rattles so she continues to play with it. She does like the advanced better however and seems to be using it more. One other girl on her high school teams advanced has excessive flex at the joint but she is a slapper and has not failed her or separated yet.

Apr 28, 2019
Easton Ghost

Ok
Easton Ghost

Ok makes sense. The Ghost seems to have far and away the most durability complaints.
What’s interesting is people seem to accept the bat is borderline defective but just don’t seem to care due to excellent performance.
If one of my DD’s wasn’t insistent on using a Ghost I honestly wouldn’t purchase another one.
I’m hoping the Advanced is a better material and design. I think the best course of action with the DS is to save them for games to extend their life.
Common sense would dictate a heavy bat like the Ghost would be more durable than your average closer to stocker weight bat. Not in this case it appears.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee