Tournament Snacks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2020
What are some of the snack you take for your DD during Tournament weekend, i don't like buying out of the concession stand to often cause it can be unhealthy. So i was wondering what are some of the thing your bring for your DD?

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
If I know we will be at the ball fields all day we usually bring a big cooler full of stuff. Always bring our own water/gatorade.

For food, we also try to avoid the concession stand. As for healthy food, a lot of tournaments are getting better about having better options but it still gets expensive. We spend enough money on travel ball without spending $100/day eating three meals from a concession stand.

We will bring granola bars, fruit, veggies, deli meat and cheese for sandwiches. Recently my wife found a recipe for these protein/energy ball things that the girls really like. She usually brings a batch to the basketball tournaments this time of year and they get devoured. There are a million recipes online but she found one with those mini m&ms in them so they are mostly healthy and the kids see candy so don't complain about the rest of the healthy ingredients lol.

Nov 22, 2019
Minnesota, USA
Would you mind sharing the recipe?

I believe this is the correct link. She usually makes the Monster Cookie ones.

Jul 14, 2018
We try to bring a good mix of protein-packed foods and sweet/hydration choices. That usually means a nice turkey sandwich and individually wrapped cheese. DD likes hummus, so we get the individual hummus bowls with pretzels and pack some carrots to go with it. Always a bag of some melon/berries/grapes/apples as well. I always throw a box of cookies in there also. Not the best choice nutritionally, but when DD sits down and opens her cookies the whole team gathers around to pick at them and chat.

I try to hit the concession stand at least once a day, just for a drink or snack. The tournament makes some of their money this way, and it's good to support the programs that go through the trouble of setting up tourneys.

DD had a coach in 10U who would get mad if you brought a cooler on a Sunday -- bad luck to assume you'd be there all day!!

Oct 4, 2018
We still do the entire team pot luck type of thing. It's a 10U team. So each week we're assigned something. After two games last season we had to institute a NO CRAP rule. People were just loading their daughters full of sugar and then wondering why they could only last a few games.

So we almost always have lunch meat and sandwich fixings, cheese sticks, gatorade and water, granola bars, and stuff like that. Nothing terribly exciting.

Jan 7, 2020
We still do the entire team pot luck type of thing. It's a 10U team. So each week we're assigned something. After two games last season we had to institute a NO CRAP rule. People were just loading their daughters full of sugar and then wondering why they could only last a few games.

So we almost always have lunch meat and sandwich fixings, cheese sticks, gatorade and water, granola bars, and stuff like that. Nothing terribly exciting.
Awesome Idea!!

Apr 8, 2019
I believe this is the correct link. She usually makes the Monster Cookie ones.

My kids LOVE these. We use dark chocolate chips and a little less honey to keep the sugar down. But really that is just because the adults like them better that way.

Oct 4, 2018
Awesome Idea!!

I have one handy. This was the assignment last tourney. 10 players, 10U, one-day tourney:

1. Hot food item of choice (soup, chili, spaghetti, etc.)
2. Two bunches of bananas, mandarin oranges, grapes and cheese sticks
3. 2 cases of Gatorade in cooler
4. hot cocoa, four gallon bottles of water, cup of noodles, oatmeal packets
5. Plates, cups, utensils, paper towels, hand wipes, trash bags, small sweet treat
6. Sandwiches
7. Individual bags of chips and pretzels
8. 2-3 cases of water in cooler
9. case of cliff bars or Z-bars

Basically it rotates each week so everyone gets sandwiches once or twice per year, for example. Some weeks are easier/cheaper than others. Menu changes as weather warms up. Chili turns into potato salad, hot cocoa becomes extra Gatorade, etc. etc.

It works well for us.

Jul 29, 2016
I'm a Big Green Egg guy, and we like getting all of the families together for a meal at least once every 2-3 tournaments. I'll do a pork butt, and then everyone signs up for sides, buns, etc. Great team-building pulling everyone and their families together, and usually much much more cost-effective way to feed the whole team and their families.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28