Tournament rule question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2019
Tournament rule that states a tie breaker for seedings is broken by head to head, then runs against, then runs scored, then coin flip.
Three teams have the same win-loss record. Two of the teams didn’t play each other in pool play. Is it to be assumed that head to head is void, so you’d go straight to runs against?
Rules don’t say anything about breaking a three way tie, so is this to be assumed, or would you think you’d go flat out by the only tie breaker published in the tournament rules? (Team A beat team B, team B beat team C, Team C did not play Team A in pool play).

Just looking for thoughts or clarification.

May 29, 2015
Tie-breaker is a tie-breaker, regardless of the number of teams.

Since there is not an accurate head-to-head record, I would skip to the next: Team that gave up the least runs is the #1 seed, team who gave up the next lowest number of runs is the #2 seed, team who gave up the most runs is the #3 seed. (Adjust seed numbers as appropriate.)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Tournament rule that states a tie breaker for seedings is broken by head to head, then runs against, then runs scored, then coin flip.
Three teams have the same win-loss record. Two of the teams didn’t play each other in pool play. Is it to be assumed that head to head is void, so you’d go straight to runs against?

That is how it has been done in every tourney I have been at. There is some differences in some sanctions, but mostly the seeding criteria is pretty standard.

Here is the Floirda USSSA criteria - we actually had a scenario last year where we got to #8. You should always look up the actual criteria for the sanction you play in - the good ones will have them published somewhere.

Pool Standings
Sorted on the following:
---------------------------------------------------------
1) Winning Percentage - Descending
2) Number Wins - Descending
3) Number Loses - Ascending
4) Tied Teams (vs. each other) Winning Pct - Descending [Not valid if all tied teams have not played each other]
5) Avg Runs Allowed - Ascending
6) Avg Run Differential with a maximum of (8) - Descending
7) USSSA Points - Descending
8) Date Team Entered USSSA Database

Once past a tie breaker do not return to previous

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
That is how it has been done in every tourney I have been at. There is some differences in some sanctions, but mostly the seeding criteria is pretty standard.

Here is the Floirda USSSA criteria - we actually had a scenario last year where we got to #8. You should always look up the actual criteria for the sanction you play in - the good ones will have them published somewhere.

Pool Standings
Sorted on the following:
1) Winning Percentage - Descending
2) Number Wins - Descending
3) Number Loses - Ascending
4) Tied Teams (vs. each other) Winning Pct - Descending [Not valid if all tied teams have not played each other]
5) Avg Runs Allowed - Ascending
6) Avg Run Differential with a maximum of (8) - Descending
7) USSSA Points - Descending
8) Date Team Entered USSSA Database

Once past a tie breaker do not return to previous

It's hilarious to me how the final one, which I'm guessing they never even expected to come up, is just "Well, they existed first."

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It's hilarious to me how the final one, which I'm guessing they never even expected to come up, is just "Well, they existed first."

My guess is that they use it because it allows for their software to auto-seed their brackets no matter what the results are.

If there is one thing the USSSA gets right, it is their website.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
DD's team lost a tournament on a coin flip. Her team had the best record, but one of their wins was thrown out because weather shortened the tournament. (Made up rule) The coin flip was "recorded" (without coaches present) at the director's home days later, but there was some history between DD's team and the tournament host. I surmise the coin flip was "recorded" multiple times before it landed correctly (for us to lose), but I will never know. The moment I found out that a coin flip would determine our outcome I knew we were doomed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22