Top Heavy Hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
No video, sorry, but just imagine.
Player is extremely top heavy and can't bring anything through. Basically she can't even slot her rear elbow. Rear elbow rises above and some point she looks like she putting a choke hold on herself. My question is has anyone experienced a player too top heavy to swing correctly? My other questions are would ULL open stance be a good style to switch to and does anyone have a gif of it?
Before anyone asks, I don't know what size they are and I am not asking either!

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2016
Mine is too, though not extreme. She's certainly not an ironing board like a lot of players, either. She just has to find a bat path/hand path that works for her, and it won't be the prototypical swing that everybody on here preaches about. Then LOTS of reps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 1, 2013
I think my 'focus' would be on the elbows. Mainly the rear elbow. Meaning the elbows need to get through in all good swing sequences(inside pitch different barrel path).

I agree. That's the problem, she can't get through and that's where I thought something like what I saw the ULL hitters do may work. Rdbass, you gotta a gif of ULL?

Oct 2, 2015
No video, sorry, but just imagine.
Player is extremely top heavy and can't bring anything through. Basically she can't even slot her rear elbow. Rear elbow rises above and some point she looks like she putting a choke hold on herself. My question is has anyone experienced a player too top heavy to swing correctly? My other questions are would ULL open stance be a good style to switch to and does anyone have a gif of it?
Before anyone asks, I don't know what size they are and I am not asking either!

Great questions! Is the girl stocky/strong/muscular?
I modified my 3 DDs swings to look like Lexie Elkins of ULL, a while back. But not for the reasons you did...the ULL swing just works great.
Will that help your players out?...I dunno...
My DDs are not top heavy, 2 of them are built like Kendyl Lindaman....just looking for a shot put to chew on like a gum ball...:D

One girl on our HS team matches your description, and she has a naturally wide open stance. It might be for the same reason you are asking for....but I ain't askin'
She hits the heck outta the ball

Jun 1, 2013
Stocky, not strong or muscular. I actually experimented with her some last night, had her lay the bat bring her hands down and cock her wrists where the bat would be pointing above an umps head. Just trying to make it easier for her to get through the zone with her opened up a little. Now she doesn't look great doing it but tonight she hit her first home runs ever. 2 back to back. Anyway I am thinking if I do that and incorporate a little of the ULL style on the bottom half I can get her consistent. This is not a high or mid level player. Just trying to find a way to help make her successful enough to bat her senior year of HS ball. I wanted the gif to show her dad what ULL looks like so he can understand.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Stocky, not strong or muscular. I actually experimented with her some last night, had her lay the bat bring her hands down and cock her wrists where the bat would be pointing above an umps head. Just trying to make it easier for her to get through the zone with her opened up a little. Now she doesn't look great doing it but tonight she hit her first home runs ever. 2 back to back. Anyway I am thinking if I do that and incorporate a little of the ULL style on the bottom half I can get her consistent. This is not a high or mid level player. Just trying to find a way to help make her successful enough to bat her senior year of HS ball. I wanted the gif to show her dad what ULL looks like so he can understand.

Not sure if you have gotten a GIF or not but there is a ton of them in this thread

https://www.discussfastpitch.com/so...tte-any-comments-their-hitters-mechanics.html

Oct 2, 2015

That's great! Keep us posted!
All she needed was someone to give her couple a specific changes to help her out, and the results instantly show. That's pretty cool!

I watched the majority of the ULL games last year on their website.

I taped some of Lexie' Elkin's last games on DVR for my DDs, (one of their favorite players...OK, mine too)
So we go back and watch those at bats of Lexie's for info, as to how to modify their swing/stride to look like hers.
We mix that with a little DJ Sanders, and it really works!

Also, you can go on YouTube and watch old ULL games in their entirety.
That way you can check out multiple ULL batters and compare notes.

I'll keep saying it...I wish Michael Lotief would come up to the Upper Midwest and put on hitting clinics for coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812