Too Many Teams

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 21, 2019
I grew up in MA..I am allowed to be a Sox/Celtics/Patriots fan :)
Grew up in Staten Island, NY. Allowed to hate on em..... :ROFLMAO:
All kidding aside, grew up on some EPIC Yankee/ Red Sox battles in the ALCS as a kid. Always loved Yaz, he was awesome ( For a damn Red Sock....lol )

Jun 8, 2016
Grew up in Staten Island, NY. Allowed to hate on em..... :ROFLMAO:
All kidding aside, grew up on some EPIC Yankee/ Red Sox battles in the ALCS as a kid. Always loved Yaz, he was awesome ( For a damn Red Sock....lol )
I am not old enough to remember the Sox/Yankees battles in the 70's..there were not too many in the 80's. The only 80's distinctive memory I have of Sox/Yanks is Guidry's no hitter on the 4th of July 1983 since that was the day my younger brother was born :)

Dec 30, 2011
This is interesting. So if I'm understanding you correctly, the dilution of talent is not due to 'too many teams,' but rather to a bleeding out of the top athletes to other sports? Way back when I was a kid (okay; way, way waay back), the best athletes completed a year-long circuit of soccer-basketball-baseball, maybe the bigger kids did football-wrestling-lacrosse. Now that most sports have year-round opportunities to play and train, kids are specializing earlier.

There are other, longer threads that address this topic, so I won't go into too much detail. But it does make sense that there are many terrific athletes that never pick up a bat because they're playing soccer year-round. The absence of those top athletes must take the level of the game down a notch.

ETA: I'm sure there are geographical differences, but softball participation has exploded in my area. There are many, many teams to choose from. And even if the level of play isn't as high as it once was, I'm glad there are opportunities for every girl to play softball, from Rec up through PGF.
SOCCER!!!

Apr 28, 2014
It's also a what came first chicken or the egg. Yes the top pitchers in the area gravitate towards the best teams but those better teams have a track record of developing top pitchers in the area.
Yesterday our org attended a camp/scrimmage at one of the local D1 colleges. There were 10 teams there. Top 20 pitchers in the area at the 2021 2022 age group. And yes two teams had the top 5 so I agree the top teams get great pitchers. As a pitcher parent it's more important than ever to develop your pitcher to the level that she will attract those teams. I remember when DD was young those teams would not even look at her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802