Too many, not enough dilemma

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 7, 2018
16U B team. 20 girls registered.

Cut to 15? Make two teams of 10? Move up a few 14u to make a second team work? Rather not effect entire program below us to make it work for 2nd 16u team.

Out of the 20, the ability level is all over the map. Some new players, some with varsity experience, majority in the middle somewhere.

Wins not as important as competing. Don’t want higher lever girls frustrated that their team mates so far behind.

Can’t make all happy but how would you structure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2015
How committed are the kids? Most upper level teams have 16 kids at this age because of camps and tests taking etc. Mid levels sometimes also deal with jobs and other activities that get in the way that aren't softball related. If you think you will have conflicts make cuts to 14-16 players. Do not try to make teams of less than 12.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2012
How committed are the kids? Most upper level teams have 16 kids at this age because of camps and tests taking etc. Mid levels sometimes also deal with jobs and other activities that get in the way that aren't softball related. If you think you will have conflicts make cuts to 14-16 players. Do not try to make teams of less than 12.

This. High school kids will have conflicts even if they tell you they won’t.
DD played for a club that had 2 18u teams and the director used to ask for the 2 teams to have different schedules in schowcases so he could mix and match if he needed to. Each team had 13 players.
I think 14-16 is a good number at that age.

Feb 20, 2020
We're a 16 B team and are having all sorts of issues with numbers. We've got 11, and between proms, dates, jobs, SATs, college tours, failing classes and just general being 16 conflicts with parents, we've played with either 9 or 10 every tourney this year.

If you're a good enough coach and committed to playing everyone who shows up -- or at least giving them a chance -- I'd shoot for 14. You might even tell the girls that going in, so they all know that doing this gives them all a chance at a weekend or two off.

Jun 26, 2019
I would split them and move a few players up if you can.
Another dilemma if you split them is weather to split them equally or do an a team and b team. From what I have seen an a team and b team is hard on the girls on the bubble, no matter where they fall. If you can get the two to have a different schedule you may be able to manage them without moving girls up

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018

Mid level for sure. We usually have 4-5 tourneys and I’d bet we would not be with a full squad for 3-4 of those. Two teams of 10 worries me as playing with 8 isn’t fun for anyone.

Apr 7, 2018
I would split them and move a few players up if you can.
Another dilemma if you split them is weather to split them equally or do an a team and b team. From what I have seen an a team and b team is hard on the girls on the bubble, no matter where they fall. If you can get the two to have a different schedule you may be able to manage them without moving girls up

The A or B thing is pretty straightforward with this group. Few bubble kids but not many. I’d rather see a and b as a split down middle seems to overwhelm bottom players and not challenge top.

If no ability to move up some 14u I’m curious what your thoughts would be? Cut?

Feb 20, 2020
I thought about it a little more, and maybe do this:

Sign everyone who you would have signed anyway.

Sign up for as many tourneys as you can. You've got the extra revenue from the extra players.

Then have the girls choose. Have them signup for which ones they want to play. Guarantee everyone X, but maybe limit them to X+3 or so. Maybe even do it a drafted tourney -- the all show up one night, and they get to choose their favorites or whatever. Some might want to drive; some might not want to. Some might have plans that weekend and others might not.

20 players means you can have scrimmages every practice if you want. That's a gift. And as long as everyone understand what is going on -- that you're going to play 12 or whatever a weekend but there are going to be more weekends -- that might be a great summer for all of them.

A little rough on you, though :) But it sounds like it could be a blast.

Apr 7, 2018

Sign up for as many tourneys as you can. You've got the extra revenue from the extra players.

Then have the girls choose. Have them signup for which ones they want to play. Guarantee everyone X, but maybe limit them to X+3 or so. Maybe even do it a drafted tourney -- the all show up one night, and they get to choose their favorites or whatever. Some might want to drive; some might not want to. Some might have plans that weekend and others might not.

20 players means you can have scrimmages every practice if you want. That's a gift. And as long as everyone understand what is going on -- that you're going to play 12 or whatever a weekend but there are going to be more weekends -- that might be a great summer for all of them.

Numbers are good! And bad... Thanks for the input. Right now all options on the table. We meet in a few weeks to sort this out. Just wanted some educated opinions. Not just parent chatter. I do like the idea of scrimmages as long a kids/parents understand the tourney team scenario.

May 6, 2015

THIS. those interested in more can play more, those interested in less can play less. transparent.

only tweak might be that after uniform and team fee (insurance, etc.), players pay by the tournament. this is how DD1s club team in field hockey does it, everyone indicates availability, team bills you for tournaments you sign up for, above "tuition".