TOO Long

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 28, 2008
Ok........DD goes to practice and smokes the ball of tee and pitching machine. Gets into the game and her swing becomes long and she looks late on every swing. What are some drills to get her out of this habit. There are times when she hits. This past weekend she had 2 triples. But then several K's to go with it!

HELP!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
IMHO, she hasn't learned how to see up the ball coming from the pitcher.

Learn to pitch underhanded. Get open (body faces 3B), bring the ball at the 12 o'clock position, then throw. It isn't difficult to throw the ball over the plate from 20 feet. Get about 50 softballs and a pitching screen.

Toss the ball to her--she'll love it. In fact, she might want to stay out there and practice all night.

Ray

May 13, 2008
It is hard to prescribe a drill when you can't see the swing. Do you have any swings on video? If I had to take a wild guess I'd say the issue is bat drag.

Bat Drag 101

May 28, 2008
It is hard to prescribe a drill when you can't see the swing. Do you have any swings on video? If I had to take a wild guess I'd say the issue is bat drag.

Bat Drag 101

I read the article........it is her. Hit's with power softtoss and off a tee. When she hits its goes to right field, with power.

how do I go about correcting? Any certain drills?

I hope to get video of her ASAP. I know that will help.

Thanks!

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Ok........DD goes to practice and smokes the ball of tee and pitching machine. Gets into the game and her swing becomes long and she looks late on every swing. What are some drills to get her out of this habit. There are times when she hits. This past weekend she had 2 triples. But then several K's to go with it!

HELP!

My goss, that is exactly our situation. I am coming into the idea that it is nerves and all in her head. I pitched to her for an hour Sunday, and I pitch just as fast as the 10u's that she faces. Balls were hitting the left field fence one after another. Monday night's game...4 k's and a bucket full of tears after the game. Didn't help that her coach told her before going up to bat the 4th time that she isn't going to pitch until she starts hitting the ball.
Way to motivate a 9 year old!

May 28, 2008
My goss, that is exactly our situation. I am coming into the idea that it is nerves and all in her head. I pitched to her for an hour Sunday, and I pitch just as fast as the 10u's that she faces. Balls were hitting the left field fence one after another. Monday night's game...4 k's and a bucket full of tears after the game. Didn't help that her coach told her before going up to bat the 4th time that she isn't going to pitch until she starts hitting the ball.
Way to motivate a 9 year old!

People like that have no business coaching! Nobody feels worse than the kid when stuff goes bad!

In my case I know it's more the speed issue as I can not throw as hard as a14 U and throw strikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802