Too late for class of 2020

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
What position? The talk of 25%-100% is few and far between. It is not the norm. Div 1 have 12 scholarships to give out, and Div 2 have 7.2. The math just doesn't add up. Especially if you aren't a pitcher/catcher. There will be some positions where players get a full ride. That just leaves fewer for the rest of the team to split up. My point is that I think parents are misinformed if they think that little Sally is going to pay for school with softball alone.

She is not a pitcher or a catcher. I assume she will play somewhere in the infield as I do not think she is fast enough to play OF. She plays IF on DD's team.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
JJS you seem knowledgeable I'm just trying to understand your math, please bear with me. Even if they gave out 6 100%, they could give out 12 50% for an 18-player roster. Just looked at Florida Gator roster, they carry 19. Are there a bunch of red-shirts or five-year players that stretch out the numbers somehow?

How many 100%s does a top 25 team have to give out in order to recruit the top tier players they need? Can they get away with just funding three or four pitchers and one or two position players at 100%?

How many 100%s can a top 25 team deliver if you count academic money with it, ie, 50% softball + 50% academic?

Any thoughts appreciated. Hard to see where the 5%s come in....

3-5% is the average for incoming freshman. Then, based on where they fit in long term(or if they even make it through their freshman year) they are given a boost their sophomore, junior and/or senior years. Many, many(but not all) teams take a large group of freshman with the understanding that only a few will work out. If you want to verify this information then just ask next time you are at a showcase camp during the question and answer session.

Also, there are several colleges that are not allowed to use all of their allotted scholarships. Div 2 only has 7.2 scholarships. What happens if they hand out 6 full rides?

There are exceptions to this, but again play the odds. The odds say that your dd will probably not be one of the select few. If she is, then good for her. If not, then be prepared. For every $1 you spend on softball put another $1 in an education fund. Start at 8U(or at 1 year old). By the time she is 18 she could have much of her college paid for. If she does get the big pay day in scholarship money, then she will have a nice nest egg started for when she graduates(or use the money for that expensive wedding).

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
She is not a pitcher or a catcher. I assume she will play somewhere in the infield as I do not think she is fast enough to play OF. She plays IF on DD's team.

Maybe the team had someone exit at the last minute which freed up money as well as made the school hard up for a certain position. Maybe the girl and/or her parents lied to you about what she really got athletically versus academically. Maybe the girl really matured physically her senior year and is the exception to the rule. Maybe this was just a great situation. I can only share what I have learned from experience and from what has been shared with me from coaches and recruiters.

Nov 18, 2013
3-5% is the average for incoming freshman. Then, based on where they fit in long term(or if they even make it through their freshmyear) they are given a boost their sophomore, junior and/or senior years. Many, many(but not all) teams take a large group of freshman with the understanding that only a few will work out. If you want to verify this information then just ask next time you are at a showcase camp during the question and answer session.

Also, there are several colleges that are not allowed to use all of their allotted scholarships. Div 2 only has 7.2 scholarships. What happens if they hand out 6 full rides?

There are exceptions to this, but again play the odds. The odds say that your dd will probably not be one of the select few. If she is, then good for her. If not, then be prepared. For every $1 you spend on softball put another $1 in an education fund. Start at 8U(or at 1 year old). By the time she is 18 she could have much of her college paid for. If she does get the big pay day in scholarship money, then she will have a nice nest egg started for when she graduates(or use the money for that expensive wedding).

Where in the world did you come up with 3-5% for D1 softball? That's not even close. While I agree with your overall point about not counting on a full ride, your figures and examples are well off It s NOT common practice to to take a large group of freshman knowing only a few will pan out. It happens at some of the top 20 schools and all schools understand not every girl will stick around through their senior year, but most don't make a practice of committing kids with the intention of dropping them.

Schools "are not allowed to use all their allotted scholarships"? Do you mean that many smaller schools CHOOSE not to use their full allotment? If a team doesn't use all their scholarships it's coming from their institution, unless the school is on probation.

Feb 15, 2016
Maybe the team had someone exit at the last minute which freed up money as well as made the school hard up for a certain position. Maybe the girl and/or her parents lied to you about what she really got athletically versus academically. Maybe the girl really matured physically her senior year and is the exception to the rule. Maybe this was just a great situation. I can only share what I have learned from experience and from what has been shared with me from coaches and recruiters.

Wow. I will just say again that not every school oversigns.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It does happen, we know a 2020 my daughter has played with who verballed to tennesse. You just can't teach things like 5'10" and 2.8 home to first, but it's few and far between

Over the past few years I have followed the careers or lack thereof of many early (grade 8-10) commits to SEC schools. The stark reality is more often than not it does not work out as well as many had thought. Rarely if ever do they arrive and actually start and many ride the pine for a year or two. I know of one who committed quite early as a pitcher. When it was all said and done she was listed as a utility player and now in her first season has had a single trip to the plate. You can verbal to anyone at anytime, it means nothing. When it is all said and done you need to decide if you will chase fair balls or foul balls. Many of these early commits that languish in obscurity would have been rock stars at a different school and had a very rewarding experience. Some will naively state that they are getting their education for free or at least discounted. They fail to understand that if softball is only a means to an end for an education you are probably doomed and missing the main point of the exercise.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Feeling behind the 8 ball in all of this. Have most colleges filled roster spots for the class of 2020? I thought there was more time...:eek: Do certain positions get filled(recruited) earlier than others?

DD has attended college/exposure camps and is playing a lot of showcase tournaments this year. That's the extent of it.

I will get straight to the point - Stay far away from whoever is telling you this. They are clueless and most likely parroting some other fool.

Feb 15, 2016
I will get straight to the point - Stay far away from whoever is telling you this. They are clueless and most likely parroting some other fool.

From what I have seen with DD1 and all her teammates who are now in college, it truly depends on the girl, the school, and the situation. Some good D1 schools still have a spot open for HS seniors, some D2 schools are full by a player's junior year. For D3, at least for the private schools, they have to make sure you are accepted in your senior year. Your DD can get a lot of money for academics if her GPA and ACT are good. Some schools are probably not any better than HS teams. There are teams that do tryouts and if you have played at all you can make the squad.

DD1 chose her school, got a bunch of scholly money that had nothing to do with softball, and ended up quitting softball because she wanted to do other things.

DD2 has chosen her school for academic reasons, they are recruiting her and have not offered. Almost no money other than loans available at this school if she does not get something for softball. She will go to this school regardless of softball.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Schools "are not allowed to use all their allotted scholarships"? Do you mean that many smaller schools CHOOSE not to use their full allotment? If a team doesn't use all their scholarships it's coming from their institution, unless the school is on probation.

That is what I meant that there are also schools where the institution decides that the softball team will not be using all of their scholarships. Sorry, it was late when I posted that. Should have read it to make sure that it made sense when I posted...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802