Toni Paisley & Esia FootDoctor team up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
If I’m getting an opportunity to start staggered, move straight ahead, and my goal is to “get as much drive as possible”, why would I only use one leg? Serious question to you both @ArmWhip ?

If I change the intended end task from a pitch to a race but keep the same stance, then wouldn’t everyone start looking at you funny if you only pushed with one leg?

Furthermore, acceleration is just that, increasing speed as quickly as possible through increase of force (f=ma), and science blatantly tells us the the rear limb provides increased force into the front during acceleration based movement from static (starts) and dynamic (locomotion) positions. It baffles me that because I introduce the task of pitching, you’ll then forget all other hard science on increasing acceleration and horizontal projection.
Legs and power...which leg why?
;) it was a simple compairison to the technical hitting forum. Not a comment about whatever technique you prefer.
Take a look you will see similar conversations. Enjoy!

Feb 25, 2020
I first said I dont know how important this foot stuff is. It is very important. But it is not something you can just tell your player to do. It takes a concerted effort focused on mobility and reworking the way the body works.

This guy is focused on "knee pain" and vertical jump but his method directly applies to all things athletic. Including pitching/hitting/anything.

Sorry I should have phrased a question in there for DR E about this guy.

His method to me seems to line up(somehwat accidentally I think) with alot of the stuff you talk about.

In particular Im curious about his focus on tibialis training. And also how ankle mobility effects the whole chain. Somehow he has really zeroed in on it, and you mention the "toes to the sky". I thought that was interesting.

Also, Ive done a few days of the step downs, atg lunges(elevated) and tibialis exercises he advocates and ive noticed that when I do KB swings immediately afterwards I feel like a dang rubberband. Really different feel and It has really surprised me.

To me his beginner exercises seem really good for activating the posterior chain. He has alot of interesting stuff that kind of relates to alot of your stuff(which I need to look at more in depth). And not to sound weird but look at that dudes hamstrings haha! Monsters.

Any input appreciated.

Dec 10, 2015
Chautauqua County
They are both results of how the athlete is creating/applying force into the ground. The movements provide context to how athletes perceive or have been told they should “drive”. I look at these things to provide information and then we explore root causes at the level where ground reaction forces aren’t transferring into takeoff.

Unfortunately, even at the highest levels, the interpretation of sprint science application, specifically early acceleration, is poorly taught in softball. I didn’t learn pitching or explore it first. I made a living working with athletes at the NFL, euro soccer, and Olympic rugby level to increase and understand early stage acceleration and explosiveness, while having my local athletes. When I look at pitching I view it without bias towards what any person in softball has said should happen or who does it which way, or “but she’s successful”. I go by what the movement task is, which is explosive first movement from a staggered start. If you’re not in optimal positions that decades of solid research on this task have shown in EVERY other sport, I’ll tell you, regardless of who you are.
OK, thank you. It seems you are saying there are ways to increase drive energy into the front side resistance momentwhich then transfers on through the chain to the whip. I'm coming late to this conversation, so what are the ways you recommend? I can tell you that I use the QOTH on the stride foot and I want to see the stride knee coming up high rather than just stepping off.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
OK, thank you. It seems you are saying there are ways to increase drive energy into the front side resistance momentwhich then transfers on through the chain to the whip. I'm coming late to this conversation, so what are the ways you recommend? I can tell you that I use the QOTH on the stride foot and I want to see the stride knee coming up high rather than just stepping off.
He has videos on YouTube, try this for a starter, I found it interesting.

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
He has videos on YouTube, try this for a starter, I found it interesting.

I am interested to learn more from Foot Dr. I watched this video and some of the others on his YouTube channel. I don't disagree with any of it but I am having a hard time figuring out what he recommends as good drive mechanics. Seems like the focus is on debunking some of the current assumptions but I'd like to see an example of what he believes is optimal. Maybe I need to watch this video again and I will get it.

I am currently about half way through Java's Drive Mechanics thread and while I think it is great and man my hats off to such an awesome contribution to this community I haven't been able to fully grasp the merits of the 2-step drill which we recently adopted as my DD's mechanics. It does seem a bit 1 footed as far drive contribution.

I like the idea mentioned in this thread about using the stride leg to contribute to the drive.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
I think that the 2-step drill puts the drive leg in the same place/position that FD does, it matches with Monica Abbot's. I'm not sure how much the stride leg can contribute. For one thing the pitching motion has a 'rolling' start rather than the static start that sprinting has. I understand that they have similarities but they get there from different directions.

Oct 26, 2019
Question for the smarter folks in the room - If the stride leg is weight bearing when you initiate the drive/push doesn’t it have to contribute to the drive to unload the weight? I took the Foot Dr. video as sort of that...get the body in the right positions to activate the right muscles.

Feb 25, 2020
Dr. E,

Do you have any prescriptions for front side resistance?

And how would you rate the first pitcher in this montage drive wise?

I think his front side is outstanding. Toe straight up. Glute and hammie dominating. The second guy looks more akin to what you see commonly. Im interested into how you would rate/critique this drivewise.

Mar 10, 2020
Why would I need “marketing” on a site I’ve never received any business from nor need it. My work has always spoken for itself.

The difference is that 100% of those who have experience with my work don’t get it from “almost any instructor”.

You’re rather upset at things and people you don’t know in this forum. That energy could be spent elsewhere.
Your marketing gimmick of connecting your #footdr approach is nothing new.
Sports trainers have applied this approach and are resources available that address the same issues.
Which you seem to ignor.
Then while you know nothing about me, posturing trying to suggest i'm upset then proposing I dont know what i'm speaking about is a defensive flaw in your approach.
Then claiming "The difference is that 100% of those who have experience with my work dont get it from amost any instructor"
Frankly find your arrogance an insult to the other educated professionals working with athletes.
100% certain.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478