Toni Paisley & Esia FootDoctor team up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
This has nothing to do with #metoo, I guess she is asking for your lewd comments just because she posted a selfie. I hope you are not coaching young girls if that is the case.

No Mel, this started because several of people brought up Ms. Paisley's Instagram account and how they seem to feel that there was more selfies than there was pitching info. I have no idea why people felt the need to say that, if they felt they were douped by signing up for her Instagram and not seeing enough pitching material to their liking.

Like 90% of the people on this forum who are being honest, I looked at it myself after the comments. I had never heard of Ms. Paisley or the footdoctor prior. And Ms. Paisley has A LOT of selfies on there and she's very beautiful. So, I complimented that beauty and her selfies by saying I'd like to see more of them. The fact that this is still being talked about goes to show that people are never happy unless they are complaining and nobody can be happy unless they take offense to something, even something as trivial as complimenting someone's pictures that are obviously put up there for people to see and comment on. Lest we forget, we are not talking about "A SELFIE" as mel77 said. There was dozens. Maybe more. I had no idea that giving someone the reaction to their pictures that they obviously wanted would be so shameful.

Apparently we have very different definitions of what a "lewd comment" is.

Apr 12, 2015
This has nothing to do with #metoo, I guess she is asking for your lewd comments just because she posted a selfie. I hope you are not coaching young girls if that is the case.

I guess I missed the lewd comments.....

I started the post with serious concerns. They both have a lot of free videos on YouTube to let you know what they teach. I learned about Bill Hillhouse on here and watched what I could on YouTube to learn It would be worth paying for his teaching video. us bucket dad’s don’t mind paying for good instructions. Paisley and Esia have helped my DD just as much as Hillhouse. I wanted other people to give me their opinion I don’t do Instagram so I don’t know what all that drama is about but it is not productive with learning to pitch. Some people have never heard of Paisley or Esia I’m not getting any thing from them for mentioning them just like I don’t get any thing from Hillhouse but I want other bucket dads to know these people can help your DD’s

Feb 25, 2020
I asked my DD to try and keep her drive foot straighter and there was no change. Haha

It's funny how such a seemingly small thing can require such a large reworking of biomechanics.

And I dont appreciate being told what to talk about Coach Ken. Im gonna post this selfie in protest.

1608697024736.png

Dec 17, 2020
One problem is that there are a lot of good pitchers out there that turn the foot/knee out when they push off, Ueno and Abbot for example.

In general what I see on the Paisley/Esia videos looks fine, however when it comes to what cues to use to teach the movement that you want I have questions. It's one thing to know which muscles are involved in a given movement sequence, it's another to know how to get your student to execute that sequence. "Activate your glutes and hamstrings" won't get it done. They have a bunch of drills that look useful and are aimed at creating the right moves but it's all lower body stuff, not much on the shoulders, arm, wrist and hand. But the pitchers look good except for some excessive glove swim.

This cues do get it done when the education is given and instruction proceeds to allow what is learned to be felt using specific exercises/drills/movements/activations (whatever word works) for that athlete. There is nothing I can’t get an athlete to feel and that expertise has been gained from work on the prehab/rehab/post injury side of my work. Thousands of hours with injury and performance clients from gen pop to pro athletes (NFL, euro soccer) has additionally molded that ability.

Dec 17, 2020
Im not sure how important this is.

Lets use Rachel Garcia as an example, she turns her foot a little bit.

Would turning her drive foot less make her more better than changing her rise ball spin from bullet to 11-4? I think that is an easy answer. Spin axis all day.

Edit: I think posterior chain is imperative. But s little foot turn is not the end of the world.

I’ve also posted about foot “turn out” a while back as well and NEVER said it was bad.

Some of what “I teach” is being taken in poor context (there are unique differences in Rachel’s more recent pitching fyi). I care what the foot tells us about pelvic change (linear/rotational). From a health and torsion perspective, where it’s movement we want or not, the hip, knee, and foot agreeing in the direction they are creating, reacting, absorbing energy is vital.
Pelvic Driven Change vs Torso Driven Change in Posture.mov

Dec 17, 2020
That is part of what they are teaching to keep the achilies short and not stretched out with stiff ankles, but ankle collapsing is when you video from behind and as soon as the drive foot starts the heel turns inward and sometimes leads the drag foot (toe pointing rearward). Apparently drive foot should drive over the toes Esia says pinky toe not big toe so the shoelaces are pointing to catcher or down to ground and the heel stays straight and does not turn in.
supposedly this will force you to use your hamstring and glutes instead of the quads. The stretched achilies prohibits the hamstring from firing. This is what I’m understanding this is why I started asking questions of people more knowledgeable than I

The Achilles being stretched isn’t the exact focus, it’s the interaction with the calf. If the ankle goes through full ROM as you’re driving out that is a knee extension dominant movement and will achieve more calf/quad interaction only allowing force to be expressed at the angle you drive from. Often we ask athletes to use hips but they can not structurally do so unless joint orientation or angles change. The Achilles interaction when loading is more Isometric (what we want) in more explosive movers. This is trainable.

Attachments

• 23B9CA7A-1E04-4771-ACD7-BB737CF119C0.jpeg
    23B9CA7A-1E04-4771-ACD7-BB737CF119C0.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 32
Aug 21, 2008
The Achilles being stretched isn’t the exact focus, it’s the interaction with the calf. If the ankle goes through full ROM as you’re driving out that is a knee extension dominant movement and will achieve more calf/quad interaction only allowing force to be expressed at the angle you drive from. Often we ask athletes to use hips but they can not structurally do so unless joint orientation or angles change. The Achilles interaction when loading is more Isometric (what we want) in more explosive movers. This is trainable.

FDEsia, is there something NEW in what you teach or do you feel what you do is just an overlooked part of most pitching programs that you emphasize on? I'm asking because, like hitting or throwing overhand, the power is in the legs so anything that can enhance that is a very good thing. But I'm curious if this something you've created, discovered or whether you feel it's just something not taught regularly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812