Toni Paisley & Esia FootDoctor team up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 23, 2020
SE Wisconsin
So I recorded DD doing her warm up walk throughs the other night. I thought I'd post it to show how little leg drive she uses. Or am I wrong? To me it looks like little more than a large step, with most of the power being delivered from the arm. Obviously there is some forward momentum, but clearly not what i would call a concentrated "drive".

Seems more like a run through than a walk through so there may be more drive energy created than assumed.

May 21, 2018
It's hard to measure drive when you're doing walk-ins. You can't really 'lean in' when you're in motion.
Yeah, I probably should have posted a normal pitch. For some reason I thought this was the better option. Not sure I really want to hijack this thread anymore than I already have though.

Dec 17, 2020
We have used the QOTH on both feet off and on but I never really thought to compare the difference between the stride and drive foot. Well, last night we did it and I was amazed to see the stride foot slightly higher. She consistently gets 7 on the drive foot but without any work at all was getting 7.5 to the springs max at 8. At times she has a tendency to karate kick that stride foot and of course this pulls the back hip open and then she gets less/no brush. We noticed immediately that using the QOTH on the stride foot it cleaned this up without any focused effort.

Love this DFP community- DD is so much further ahead of where she would be without the great minds here. Thanks for the great idea @Ken B ; !
You’re welcome

Dec 17, 2020
IMO It's not. Lots of minutia being discussed here for something when at 100% efficiency accounts for a maximum of 10% of her total velo. So if she is already at 70% efficiency on her drive, how long and often would she have to work to get it to 90%? And for what? An additional 1-2 mph tops. And have I mentioned that there is no pot of gold at the end of this rainbow called girls softball?

if your DD is throwing 58 at 12 yo she's already doing a lot of things right. I wouldn't sweat the minutia of "fully engaged hamstrings......... quad dominant vs glutes............pelvic thrust...yada yada yada". Use that time to instead work on spinning the ball, hitting corners, and an awesome change up. Those will benefit her 1000 times more than an extra couple mph. That's going to come naturally as she gets stronger anyway. That and then some.
Unfortunately, it’s NEVER been about mph as to why we utilize both limbs. It’s functional movement and we have less and less chronic ankle, knee, and back pain because we utilize the entire body to throw. All my kids not only improve velo, but we measure broad jump, single leg jump, H2F, OH velo, and when in person vertical and single leg vertical. All metrics improve doing “pitcher specific” training. Go drive a car with only one side having wheels, then expect not to crash.
Many of you just teach/coach pitching. You don’t have 30-40% piece of clientele that you have to treat with injuries specifically related to the type of cues given by many of the PC’s including the dogma of not using a stride leg.

Glute Imbalance Test

Mar 28, 2014
Unfortunately, it’s NEVER been about mph as to why we utilize both limbs. It’s functional movement and we have less and less chronic ankle, knee, and back pain because we utilize the entire body to throw. All my kids not only improve velo, but we measure broad jump, single leg jump, H2F, OH velo, and when in person vertical and single leg vertical. All metrics improve doing “pitcher specific” training. Go drive a car with only one side having wheels, then expect not to crash.
Many of you just teach/coach pitching. You don’t have 30-40% piece of clientele that you have to treat with injuries specifically related to the type of cues given by many of the PC’s including the dogma of not using a stride leg.

Glute Imbalance Test

So do you have a peer reviewed study to back up this claim or is it strictly anecdotal evidence?

Dec 17, 2020
So do you have a peer reviewed study to back up this claim or is it strictly anecdotal evidence?

yes, they’r there is peer reviewed research that ties my assessment of shoulder , t spine, and hip ROM to the injuries they have. Coupled with research about overuse in overhead sports, lack of contraction ability in posterior chain (muscle tests performed as well) and these aren’t “aha” moments.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812