Toe touch timing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2019
Hello, I have student struggling a bit with timing toe touch properly on her downswing, was hoping for some insight on how to help her. I try to get girls to toe touch around 11 o’clock plus or minus, this kid who’s mechanics and leg drive are solid cannot stop speeding through the arm circle during drive and getting all the way to nearly parallel with ground at touch....with obviously poor results. She’s tiny but very athletic and during her drive she’s out a good 16”-18” prior to front leg plant. Other than basic segment drills does anyone have any advice.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 3, 2019
Better but inconsistent, we do a back chain drill up to 12 o’clock step and throw and it’s perfect and 10Mph harder than her full motion pitch. IR stays intact, when she incorporates drive it falls apart a bit.

Nov 8, 2018
Not uncommon. Many kids are arm dominant. They race the arm ahead of the legs.
1. You could shorten stride to get better timing.
2. Slow the arm in he beginning. Most girls ramp from slower to faster. Takes practice.
3. A drill that helps is stepping and stopping at 11. See if the timing is there. Do 3 times. If good on 3 or 4 step and pitch. Have her feel the timing.
Then have her drive and stop at 11. Is there timing. Do 3 in a row. If good then next one drive and pitch. Check timing. Repeat.

Jan 28, 2017
Great points above. My DD had the same problem and telling her to get her foot down instead of out helped a lot. DD gets great drive but will be lazy sometimes getting her foot down. Not really a reach just slow after a great drive. Hard to explain without being in person.

Jun 3, 2019
Thanks Dr, I’ve tried most of those with her, nice to know I’m barking up the right tree. I’ll give suggestion 3 a little more effort and more patience and I also found some improvement after just playing catch back and forth and distracting her it’s almost perfect when she isn’t trying to “pitch”

Jun 3, 2019
Tango, Thanks going try a lower leg drive. She was a gymnast prior to softball and crazy athletic, at 11 and well under 5ft she can get out 6.5 ft or so with relative ease and control.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802