To TB or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I agree with your "pro comments". Your "con comments" are an aggrandization of 8U and 10U softball. Also, seems like you are confusing parents and the DD.

This is 10U softball...

a) There is very little time management *BY THE CHILD* . (It is the parents who have to learn time management.) Determination? Pushing through fatigue? At 10U??? If your kid has to "push through fatigue" at 10U, the kid should be seeing a doctor. Compared to basketball or soccer, softball is sedentary.
b) At 10U, there is not a whole lot of difference in skills or softball IQ between rec and TB players, assuming the kids are have similar athleticism. That is, an athletic kid in a good rec league with an engaged parent is not going to be behind a similar TB kid.

c) Enjoy games more? If your kid isn't having fun playing rec league, she is not going to have fun playing TB. There is a whole lot more sitting around doing absolutely n othing in TB than rec ball.
Better quality games? The quality of the play is better, but the games are not any better. Usually, one team is much, much better than the other. It is the same as rec league...one team gets slaughtered.

d) A 10U player is going to be networking with coaches and players? I didn't know that TB players had business cards these days.
c) Softball connections?

Fair points, maybe it's a matter of degree (and certainly a lack of clarity in my points).

I'd argue there is some time management...as far as fitting in homework, other hobbies, etc. But YMMV.

And playing 6 games in 2 or 3 days for a 10 is pretty tough (especially for a catcher).

I did specify the parent would enjoy the games more. But, my DD definitely enjoys travel games A LOT more. This will obviously depend on your local situation.

I guess by connections I meant seeing what's possible - exposure to a lot more players, coaches, etc. in the sense that it's a "oh, I didn't even know that was possible, or I've never seen that before, etc." Definitely didn't mean as a "way to further a career".

May 22, 2019
Rural northeast
When to start, and when one might stop TB depends on so many things. DD1 would have certainly loved playing TB at that age. When she was in elementary school she would have me take her to the field to practice before school started, many mornings. DD2 did cartwheels in the outfield during team practice at that age. DD1 started moving up to serious TB around 10 yo. DD2 only got bitten by the bug when she was 12yo, and suddenly started asking me to take her out to practice three or more times a week.

Starting TB when they did worked for me. Starting TB at 8yo, I would have been burnt out with all the travel before they completed 10 years of TB playing.

Know your kid, and yourself, as best as possible.

Oct 4, 2018
We do ask our girls to all get a hitting coach and take lessons. We know we're not qualified to teach that. We can help and we know the basics.

If you go travel this might be expected of you.

I do recommend it though. The lessons have improved my daughter tremendously. Far less frustration for both of us and far more success than if we'd tried to do it ourselves.

May 20, 2019
I took a look at my local TB team and quickly decided it's not for us. The level of instruction is no different than rec ball in this case. Will be content with a summer break to work on mechanics until fall rec ball starts.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
DD moved to TB during her first year of 8U rec. How did we know it was the right move? She absolutely loved playing in tournaments during all stars the two previsous years. She liked the social side of hanging out with her team under a tent as much as the softball side. It was a good move for her both skill wise and for the fun of the game.

She wasn't pushed in rec. In the first year of 8U she was our #1 ranked player in the park during evals. She was one of two or three on each team that could catch and throw. When she moved to TB she went from being the best player between two teams to being 7 or 8 on the TB squad. Being around girls a year older than her that played at a higher level taught her so much. Seeing them do things gave her the confidence to try. That changed the game for her.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I took a look at my local TB team and quickly decided it's not for us. The level of instruction is no different than rec ball in this case. Will be content with a summer break to work on mechanics until fall rec ball starts.

That sounds like a well-informed and well-reasoned decision.

Jun 2, 2019
Tennessee
I coach an 8u travel team, my DD plays and she’s only 6. We play every other weekend and practice twice a week. We have had a few weeks when we did not have games that we took BP as an extra practice that week. None of my girls are remotely burnt out at this point. We have canceled 2 tournaments so far due to girls being on vacations. I’ve incorporated practices where we just play games and like this week we had BP on Monday then took the rest of the week off. We had 3 practices last week and played on Saturday. Our local rec league is rough but even if it wasn’t I’m glad we are on the TB circuit. My DD loves it and until this year only played t-ball. She’s begging me all the time to go hit or throw or whatever in the yard. There is no right answer for everyone. It truly depends on the child and the situation.

Apr 28, 2019
DD is 2nd year 8u player and 2nd year Babe Ruth allstars. She has a love for the game and is developing nicely. She has indicated a desire to play TB but I dont want to risk burnout. Would love to hear thoughts on pros and cons of TB at this age.
From our experience playing better competition in TB is a good thing. The problem is when you go back to school ball & rec ball. I have found our TB team coaches to be very good. The school & rec coaches are not very good. Yes they donate their time and do the best they can but it pales in comparison to TB experience.
Do some research before you take the plunge into TB. Some organizations are all about the money and some are more about player development. Some non profit organizations are reasonably priced and usually pretty well run.
You need to find the right situation for your player. You want her to play as much as possible and improve her skills. Not sit and watch.

Oct 4, 2018

Curious how one does that quickly.

You come to part of our practice, it might not seem too advanced. It might look like us just pitching and letting them swing (as their hitting coach wants them to).

Come at a different part and we're working on infielding footwork or something else pretty advanced for 9-year olds that you don't get in most rec ball.

Feb 7, 2014
I’m sure the variables going into this decision are different in various parts of the country. Here in California, travel ball is king, but the rec leagues and All star teams definitely have a place and can continue to foster player development for many years.

I’ve seen way too many girls leave rec ball too early only to flounder and burn out in travel ball. The decision should NOT be left up to the child as they simply do not know what all of the decision variables are.

The rec ball and all star progression may seem slow to some but it does several things well:
1. It builds intensity over the spring and summer
2. All star practice and tournament schedules are generally more intense than travel ball with daily practices and consecutive weekends of tournaments and this fosters rapid player development
3. Players commit to teams and there is typically a much better sense of belonging and community than in the average travel ball team
4. There is a fixed end date, giving players both something to strive towards and a break afterwards

So in my opinion, there is a strong case to be made for playing rec ball as long as possible, developing a strong love for the game, and building lasting friendships. Travel ball will still be there when it is time to move on.

For what it’s worth, my DD1 played rec ball through 1st year 14u before moving on to travel and is now playing at a power 5 conference college and, most importantly, still loves the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28