To steam or not to steam....that is the question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2018
Back when DD was a catcher, I got her a new Vinci Fortus in the offseason to replace her light Mizuno that had left her with a thumb sprain. That glove was a beast -- she couldn't close it using two hands on the outside! I spent months pounding that thing: oiled it, lathered it with shaving cream, drove over it with my car, baked it, and finally took it for a steam at Dick's. The steam is what finally loosened it enough that she could close it, but of course it was heavy. But it was much easier for her to adjust to the weight of the glove than to try and catch a ball without squeezing it.

That glove got a ton of use, she caught more than 70 games that year with a #1 pitcher who threw in the low 50's. DD is a pitcher now, and three years later I'm still using that same glove to catch her. Maybe that says more about the quality of the Vinci, but the glove is still in pretty good shape.

That said, I've never steamed a regular fielding glove and never had a problem getting a new one ready in a couple of days.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Taking a wild guess here and saying the answer to my question is "No, don't steam it" LOL. Thanks for all the feedback!!! Going to look in to Lexol leather conditioner. Haven't used it before

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Lexol in the brown spray bottle, excellent conditioner! You can pick it up at Walmart, Autozone, Advance, and most other parts stores. But I’m pretty sure 625ender much prefers Surf City Voodoo Blend, right 625?:cool:.

May 6, 2015
Back when DD was a catcher, I got her a new Vinci Fortus in the offseason to replace her light Mizuno that had left her with a thumb sprain. That glove was a beast -- she couldn't close it using two hands on the outside! I spent months pounding that thing: oiled it, lathered it with shaving cream, drove over it with my car, baked it, and finally took it for a steam at Dick's. The steam is what finally loosened it enough that she could close it, but of course it was heavy. But it was much easier for her to adjust to the weight of the glove than to try and catch a ball without squeezing it.

That glove got a ton of use, she caught more than 70 games that year with a #1 pitcher who threw in the low 50's. DD is a pitcher now, and three years later I'm still using that same glove to catch her. Maybe that says more about the quality of the Vinci, but the glove is still in pretty good shape.

That said, I've never steamed a regular fielding glove and never had a problem getting a new one ready in a couple of days.

had same issue with DDs AS CMW3000 (she was 10 at the time), simply could not close it, so she did not want to play catch with it let alone catch pitchers. Steamed it, and it got a better, then further work (including copious but not saturating levels of conditioner, I had Wilson laying around so that is what I used) got it going really good, 1 year later she loves it now. and it seems to have held up very well, cleaned and reconditioned it this summer and after fall season (and tightened web a wee bit after fall), gonna clean again (using air compressor this time, picked up that tip here, and mine sits conveniently on front porch) and recondition before they move outside (hopefully within 6 weeks, on day like today seems like it might be further off than that).

a tip for young players moving from floppy stuffed animal soft glove/mitt to real ones for the first time. after a while, DD seemed to be having trouble squeezing with the mitt again. I took a look, and the ties for the inside thumb strap had come undone. I think a lot of times when using soft floppy gloves when younger, they do not sense the importance of this. For DD, it made a huge difference in her ability to squeeze (in her new fielding glove as well). I tell her, make certain that is tied every time you put it on, if not, tie it or ask a coach to knot it real quick. worst is when the ties retreat into glove if not noticed for a while.

May 23, 2015
isnt that pretty close to waters BP?

I assume you're asking about boiling point. No the BP of water is 212

Set the oven on warm or around 150-175, in a hot trunk, in the sun on a black surface. Get the glove warm to the touch. Lexol will liquefy and absorb into the leather. Simple enough

You can bypass the heat if you're concerned

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28