To steam or not to steam....that is the question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 29, 2019
Clemmons, NC
Bought daughter a Wilson A2000 SuperSkin Series 34" Catcher's Mitt. We don't play until March 9 so there's time to break the glove in the way I did when was I was a kid. Anyone have thoughts on steaming a glove during break in is a good idea? We steamed her first catchers mitt but it was an inexpensive mitt.

Aug 18, 2018
I don't steam gloves. Too much potential for laces to dry out and break at the worst moment. I break in with glove conditioner, mallet, ball wrapped in glove, plenty of catch Have had success that way.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Feb 21, 2017
I am friends with a glove manufacturer and he said they are against any steaming or baking but with a caveat...

Basically they said they are not saying you shouldn’t do it just be aware it comes at a cost. When you steam or bake a glove it breaks down the leather quicker so you can use it, BUT it breaks down the leather resulting in a shorter life span. He also said glove grease makes them heavy and over saturation can also result in a shorter lifespan. Of course he said if you want to purchase more gloves he is happy to sell them.

I guess I would say how long do you plan on owning that glove and how much money do you have to spend on them?

CoC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
Ok...I'll be the guy. Steaming breaks gloves in faster than just using it. It limits their life. But depending on the age, breaking in a glove for too long can teach bad form. But that's just me.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Ok...I'll be the guy. Steaming breaks gloves in faster than just using it. It limits their life. But depending on the age, breaking in a glove for too long can teach bad form. But that's just me.

Let me emphasize, I’ll never steam one of MY gloves......but I absolutely see what you’re saying! The only time I’ve ever had anything the do with one of those moist death boxes at DSG (and note, I’m not the one who did it!), it was during 12U, I ordered two gloves from Casedawg. Anna’s first custom and a JCV-22 catchers mitt. That mitt was a beast and our little scrawny catcher at the time was no match for the mitt, no matter what we did, that mitt whipped her!

Her dad had it steamed twice in like 4 or 5 weeks and it did make a difference, but after he was done with it, it was considerably heavier. That was before I was really breaking in and working on gloves. I think the dad was at the point where he was like screw this mitt, I don’t care if I screw it up.....we’re not getting anywhere the way we’re going about it now!!?

So yeah Josh, I do see your point!

May 23, 2015
Never steam. Steam is too hot it will woth the tanning oils out of the glove. You can restore but not to factory conditioning

I can have a glove game ready in 1 day. Put it in a 175 degree oven or leave it in a hot car to warm up, hit it with a couple of coats of Lexol, and start working the glove. Only use Lexol nothing else. No oil, snake oil, shave cream, magic juice...........

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802