To join showcase team or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2015
fellow Iowan here. So i understand what you are going through. Its a little different for us. Our coaches dont want our kids playing travel ball, just school ball. I know.

You mention winning a state championship is the goal. I am assuming that is a school team goal. I wonder if you can do both? As in, pitch for the school team, but not with those girls for travel team. Then throw for the showcase team on the weekends. the high school season is short, it depends on how many school ball tournaments you have. School ball tournaments should only be on Saturday. Depending on the distance you could still make Sundays or might have to miss a weekend. It would take lots of communication on everyones part.

We are doing this with my daughter, not the showcase part, but playing both school ball and travel. 4 girls on our team from 3 different schools doing it. Its going to be a crazy month of June. My DD is playing 8th, 9th, JV and will sit bench varsity along with her weekend travel team. She is quite excited about it

Sep 29, 2014
Basically sounds like quality softball (and baseball) players in Iowa are simply screwed from a HS softball perspective, assuming they have the no dual playing rule. I would imagine the HS softball played in Iowa is the weakest in the country, unless it's the other way around and there are only a few quality travel teams in Iowa because everyone plays HS. Sorry you are in such a weird spot.

What level is the coach wanting to put her at 16U? Are they looking at her playing this year as their #1 pitcher? I would want more details, plus just have a serious heart to heart with new coach. When does that teams season start? if the answer is Aug or Sept I might ask what he thought about her coming out for team next season. It might be interesting to see who is their #1 pitcher is now? I'm just saying I would do my homework first. and as another poster suggested I would ask DD what she wants? if she would rather not take the leap now then there is your answer, I don't think it is a must do this year but I think you can see the reality is if she wants to play high level softball she will have to do this in the next year or two.

May 26, 2013
Yes, she is 13yrs old. The showcase team would be closer to her actual age. She's currently playing 18U with her HS team.

Nov 18, 2013
Basically sounds like quality softball (and baseball) players in Iowa are simply screwed from a HS softball perspective, assuming they have the no dual playing rule. I would imagine the HS softball played in Iowa is the weakest in the country, unless it's the other way around and there are only a few quality travel teams in Iowa because everyone plays HS. Sorry you are in such a weird spot.

What level is the coach wanting to put her at 16U? Are they looking at her playing this year as their #1 pitcher? I would want more details, plus just have a serious heart to heart with new coach. When does that teams season start? if the answer is Aug or Sept I might ask what he thought about her coming out for team next season. It might be interesting to see who is their #1 pitcher is now? I'm just saying I would do my homework first. and as another poster suggested I would ask DD what she wants? if she would rather not take the leap now then there is your answer, I don't think it is a must do this year but I think you can see the reality is if she wants to play high level softball she will have to do this in the next year or two.

It’s not California, but actually Iowa has several strong club programs. I’d put them on par with the KC area. They’re not as well known because they play in the early spring and then they’re off for the summer while the girls compete in HS. In the fall they’re back doing showcases again. The program I think the OP is talking about competes in multiple PGF showcases receives a PGF invite berth. It used to be for Platinum Nationals, I’m not sure, they may get one to Premier now.

Sep 29, 2014
It’s not California, but actually Iowa has several strong club programs. I’d put them on par with the KC area. They’re not as well known because they play in the early spring and then they’re off for the summer while the girls compete in HS. In the fall they’re back doing showcases again. The program I think the OP is talking about competes in multiple PGF showcases receives a PGF invite berth. It used to be for Platinum Nationals, I’m not sure, they may get one to Premier now.

Just seems odd...how do they go to Big showcases since most of those are in July time frame? just seems like a hard position to put kids in, to go play HS ball while all the top competition is playing at nationals and showcases. Sounds like the program OP is talking about is pushing their DD to skip HS season so they can go play showcases.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Do whats best for your DD future. Sounds like you know what you need to do already.

This is the age where those longtime teams of friends start to split. Some move up. Some stop playing. Some choose another sport. Its very normal at her age for change to begin. I bet you shes not the only one considering a change and when she moves up others will act as well.

Apr 11, 2012
I know the team you are speaking of. They play in some of the biggest tournaments and their coach is the regional director for PGF. If this is correct then I would do whatever it takes to get her on that team. We play them a couple times a year, and they are the real deal.

Roger that....we played the Iowa Club you are speaking of several times over the past 4 years and they were always pretty competitive with the upper level teams in Kansas City. I have met and spoken with that coach (Iowa Regional PGF Director) and he complains about the summer HS season. Your DD will advance more though playing that teams schedule.

The only thing I would tell you is that some opportunities in softball (especially for pitchers) only happen once....and that he ain't the type of guy who likes to be "turned down"....

May 26, 2013
Lol, I didn't realize how small of a softball world it is in the midwest :) Thank you all for giving me the insight to go with my head verses my heart of the home team.

Nov 16, 2015

What level is the coach wanting to put her at 16U? Are they looking at her playing this year as their #1 pitcher? I would want more details, plus just have a serious heart to heart with new coach. When does that teams season start? if the answer is Aug or Sept I might ask what he thought about her coming out for team next season. It might be interesting to see who is their #1 pitcher is now? I'm just saying I would do my homework first. and as another poster suggested I would ask DD what she wants? if she would rather not take the leap now then there is your answer, I don't think it is a must do this year but I think you can see the reality is if she wants to play high level softball she will have to do this in the next year or two.[/QUOTE

I believe the first day of practice is May 9. First games are week of May 23. Post season starts right after the 4th of July.

I know the team you are speaking of. They play in some of the biggest tournaments and their coach is the regional director for PGF. If this is correct then I would do whatever it takes to get her on that team. We play them a couple times a year, and they are the real deal.

On a side note, your daughter shouldn't feel like she is letting the town down. Your town should be embracing that their school team has given her the opportunity to help further her chances of playing by getting her noticed by a very good showcase organization. Anything less from members of the school and town would make me wonder why I had a feeling of commitment towards them in the first place. In the end is it more important to her to be remembered as an all state player in high school or to take a shot at becoming an all American in college?

^^^^ This. ^^^^

If your DD wants to play in college, this is the way to go. HS ball won't do anything for her toward that end. The showcase team will give her far more options than the local schools with opportunities that she'd never even know existed if she stays in her current situation.

You really mustn't think that you're letting anyone down by moving up. This is what competitive sports are for, and if your DD has earned it, she deserves it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28