To corkscrew spin or not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I was just watching nancy evan's dvd again. In her defense (if a u of arizona coach needs it) she say's "pitcher's that learn the corkscrew bullet spin as their first pitch, learn the rise ball in half the time of those that learn the peel drop." I really don't think she teaches as a pitch to be using in high school etc. just a precursure to learning movement pitches.

May 12, 2008
Yes, that's the way Timmons teaches it as well and the more flexible of his kids have very good rise spin. Good drop spin too but it's a hard roll drop and yes I understand the roll happens after release. Seems to work fine but I think if you tried to teach a peel drop after learning bullet spin as your base pitch, you might have trouble separating the two motor patterns. It's not the way I would teach it but Timmon's kids end up with great drops and, as I said, the more flexible kids end up with good rise spin. So they throw drop, rise, change and maybe curve, screw, drop curve and the like. Bullet spin ends up being seen early in warm ups and never in games for the advanced pitchers in this protocol. Again, I'm not arguing for this. I'm offering a point of information.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee