TM vs JF

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Frye calling the HLP a "softball swing", and the smug look that followed, was a big neon sign for his ignorance.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Having only caught the tale-end of the hitting wars, there was always that feeling in the back of my mind when reading those "discussions" that if they only took the time to sit down and understand what the other person was trying to say, they'd probably find out they weren't that far off from each other. (huh - sounds like that could applicable to things outside of baseball and softball as well!)

I haven't watched the video yet - when I first posted, I was clearly hoping this would actually be a real conversation (here's what I teach, here's why, etc.) Unfortunately, it sounds like it was just a continuation of Twitter and msg board posts where logic is forbidden and having an open mind is a sign of weakness.
Don't waste your time. I don't care much for TM but his opponent was way out matched. TM explaining mechanics with the other guy saying I played in the bigs 25 year ago.

May 12, 2016
Don't waste your time. I don't care much for TM but his opponent was way out matched. TM explaining mechanics with the other guy saying I played in the bigs 25 year ago.
Agree 100% .. almost like Frye didn’t know they would be discussing mechanics.. not sure why he agreed to do the video conference

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Not sure how serious he was about that comment... I hope not

My impression was that he was serious and making a major dig at TM. The look on his face was gloating like he scored big. For me, it made it clear that Frye is clueless - or, at best, really out of touch - about the current state of hitting instruction. TM’s response was right on.

Please keep in mind that I’m not a fan of TM as a person. I agree with his mechanics (mostly), and recognize that he puts a lot of effort to the study of hitting in order to help players get better.

As far as I can tell, Frye’s agenda is only to mock, attack, and try to discredit TM. He hasn’t shown any sign that he has actually tried to understand what TM teaches, and has no interest in learning. He was a high AVG hitter when he was playing, but he did not have a swing pattern I would teach.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think Frye is saying it's not set in stone mechanics as much as it is just finding what works for each player.

If you get lost in the appearance of different styles, you won’t recognize what the best hitters have in common. TM’s point is that the best all did/do the same things. Frye isn’t able - or willing - to recognize it, especially since it’s not what he did (or was told to do).

May 11, 2014
To say mr Frye doesn't understand what makes a major league swing successful, is like saying a soldier who has been in war, doesn't understand war as good as someone who has only seen video of war.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2015
To say mr Frye doesn't understand what makes a major league swing successful, is like saying a soldier who has been in war, doesn't understand war as good as someone who has only seen video of war.

Not a great analogy. Some one may be "good at war" when led by the right person. Because you can shoot well, doesn't mean you know the best place to be when shooting. Same with hitting. Some people can simply "do". Jeff Frye no doubt was a tremendous athlete. He says he received a basketball scholarship at 5'5". He could "do". That doesn't always translate to understanding more about WHAT you do. Can Michael Jordan coach someone to greatness just because he was great?

May 11, 2014
I'm confused, are you saying Michael Jordan didnt know what he did, he just did it. As far as my war analogy goes, watching a video can never replicate being in war.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3girlsDad