"Tip it and rip it"

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Mechanical Advantage?

Doug, et al...

Can someone tell me the mechanical advantage to tipping towards the pitcher, in front of my body vs. tipping the barrel behind my head?

I gotta tell you...I've tried the Bonds swing a few times over the years and found it more awkward than kissing my cousin. If it is mechanically superior, then I'm willing to try and learn it so I can teach it.

This is what my normal swing looks like from last night in slow motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGSOgrI2LPc&feature=youtu.be

I look forward to some positive input...CP

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Daughter learned this swing from Coach Hubbard at North Texas. Some of the other girls she has played with have kept this style and has been very successful with it. It was too much movement for my kid but she liked the position it put her hands thru the zone. We played around and simplified it a bit. Took the tip out and started bat resting at her lateral delt(side of shoulder). Hands still where she wants them thru the zone and no extra movement.

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Not looking to stir the pot. I was just showing that he also puts the bat on the deltoid. All of his hitter look like they swing around the ball or push. He actually talks about tipping in this video i believe. He looks at that as a style. I 100 percent disagree. The tipping that we use gets the barrel turning and the hips moving! I disagree that its a style. It may be style but it has mechanical benifits as well!

Last edited:

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Doug, et al...

Can someone tell me the mechanical advantage to tipping towards the pitcher, in front of my body vs. tipping the barrel behind my head?

I gotta tell you...I've tried the Bonds swing a few times over the years and found it more awkward than kissing my cousin. If it is mechanically superior, then I'm willing to try and learn it so I can teach it.

This is what my normal swing looks like from last night in slow motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGSOgrI2LPc&feature=youtu.be

I look forward to some positive input...CP

You are doing nothing like what Bonds does? But you know that! You hands are high as can be. Thats ok i guess as long as you get into position. Bonds hand set is much lower and he tips to the pitcher before he starts any part of his swing...kinda like what Joe Morgan used to do with his rear elbow. His actual tip is towards left field. He drops his hands and then loads them back up

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
BG

I know I'm doing nothing like Bonds does...that's where my question comes from...

My point is, I cannot effectively hit like the drill Doug posted TNR 1 - YouTube - the tip is in front of the body or like Bonds does. Lots of hitters do that frontal pivot/tip but I cannot hit the ball for beans from that spot (you describe it perfectly IMO - tip to the opposite field).

My question is simply from a mechanical efficiency standpoint: is tipping it like Bonds more efficient or more power producing? If so, why?

CP

Big German!

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
I say yes because it gives the barrel a running start..Josh Hamilton tips also. Puljos has a slight tip. Chipper Jones. Many MLB players tip. I like it with kids because it almost FORCES THEM TO FEEL THE BARREL TURNING. What is it that YOU are trying to accomplish? My views may not reflect all on here obviously, I am a big tip n rip guy! I see so much good in it!

My confusion is with the sticky thread of High Level Model swings in the Model Swings thread. I see VERY FEW girls tipping and i see a lot of those girl with the bat on the shoulder and behind the head? I also see a lot of neck slot hand sets in those swing as well. FiveFrameSwing posted the majority of those swings maybe he can weigh in on why there isnt much tipping in the NCAA D1 swings...Reaction time maybe? Im really not understanding the neck slot hand sets at that level?

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I agree with the running start part...it's just that my tip happens behind my head not in front of my body ala Bonds, Hamilton et al. My higher hands at the start are my little trigger to keep the barrel moving and arms relaxed going into my "gather" heading to launch.

I just watched some face on Pujols video and see the small tip you are talking about...maybe I'll shoot some video of me from behind and a 45* frontal angle. Maybe I do that and don't know it? I've never had a hitting lesson in my life...I just do what I do because it feels natural and comfortable.

I'm curious too about what FFS sees in terms of tipping\non-tipping...

Great topic Doug...CP

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom