Tinsley, 8

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not an arm-swinger! I suspect this one will transition well towards a better swing pattern fairly well. Move the "center" of her swing out of her rear foot, and things may start shaping up nicely.

I'm very curious to see her progress. :)

When she was younger she would flatten the barrel early. I introduced TTB and this is how she developed so far. This off season will be the first time I really explain mechanics and use video feedback. And now they have Blast feedback as well and they love using it.

Nov 18, 2015
How'd you introduce the TTB concept? Internal cues? external? slowed down movements? putting her in the right position and backward chaining from there?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I think the biggest way of learning is just repetitions and reminding them to be aware of the torso. It comes with time and developing body awareness.

The lack of body awareness in young hitters can be frustrating - for both instructor and student.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
How'd you introduce the TTB concept? Internal cues? external? slowed down movements? putting her in the right position and backward chaining from there?

I showed her how to arc the barrel

I showed her how to arc the barrel immediately instead of leveling out the barrel. You can still see some leveling prior to starting the swing.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Excuse my ignorance and I don't mean to derail any conversation but what program are you using with all those stats? That's pretty neat and I have never seen it before.

BTW, I can change the stats/metrics you see on the video. I can rearrange the order of the metrics to show the first 4 metrics you see on the video. I will do a test to see if I can change them after recording the video. Or if I can change them afterwards, after recording the video.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
BRsoftballDad,

Yes I can save the the metrics after recording the video. So I can show any of the metrics I want on the video you see.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Here are 3 hitters who are just getting started. They played at 10u C for the most part last season. I consider these swings as the jumping off point. They did work hard on their pitching this off season and not so much on their hitting. This off season we will work on hitting as well. It was just the case that they were going to the be the pitchers for a new team and their first experience of travel ball, so everytime my niece called me over she wanted to work on pitching (my niece was the coach for their team). They did learn how to pitch in one off season and during the season.

Next time I'll get live toss as well. Just went with tee today.

Is this proof that the back leg doesn't create/cause rotation? If the back leg created rotation and turned the back foot, wouldn't squashing the bug be correct?

Perhaps some of you can enlighten me on the back leg creating rotation.

Edit: I realize that if the hips/center was moved out, the back foot actions would be different. Humor me on my question (s).

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Is this proof that the back leg doesn't create/cause rotation? If the back leg created rotation and turned the back foot, wouldn't squashing the bug be correct?

Perhaps some of you can enlighten me on the back leg creating rotation.

Edit: I realize that if the hips/center was moved out, the back foot actions would be different. Humor me on my question (s).

The upper leg being the driver pulls the heel up off the ground as a reaction. Spinning on the ball of the foot does not create the same movement in the rear leg

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The upper leg being the driver pulls the heel up off the ground as a reaction. Spinning on the ball of the foot does not create the same movement in the rear leg

So who is to say the action is in the back leg, hip or lower torso/back (arching the lower back)?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28