Timing the weight shift

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
My previous post on timing the weight shift has spurred some comments on when exactly it happens. In one of the comments, Mike suggested he would like to see what a good hitter does when he/she doesn't swing. Is the weight shifted because the hitter committed, or is it part of the setup to hit.

I just happen to have a video shot by Coach Rich of Albert Pujols. It's not a standard 30 fps video (it was shot on a digital still camera) so I hope it plays ok. But you can clearly see here that Pujols shifts his weight onto his front foot , as part of the stride. without swinging several times. The hit doesn't come until the end. Also interesting is that it doesn't look like he has much intention of hitting the first pitch. Seems like he makes sort of a token effort, at least compared to what he does later.

Full clip of Pujols hitting
http://fastpitchlane.softballsuccess.com/2008/12/29/timing-the-weight-shift.aspx

More...

May 12, 2008
The swing itself, from start of the bat head into the swing plane till contact, takes less than two tenths of a second so there's no time for a weight shift/momentum development after commitment/decision.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If you want to see this better go to RVP and watch Pujols swing. Mark is correct. After the back elbow goes into the slot and the front heel comes down, with a bat speed of 64It's too late. .

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
That's what we were finding too. Our girls felt rushed in their swings. Giving them "permission" to start earlier and get the weight (or more accurately center of gravity) shifted forward earlier meant smoother, better swings. And less of a feeling that they were surprised that the pitcher threw the ball. :)

May 12, 2008
They need to shift enough to plant the heel and give the front leg a chance to form a firm foundation for the rest of rotation. I say the rest of rotation because in an elite swing the pelvis will be rotating into foot plant. Hopefully the hitter has timed the pitcher well and is ready to let the back side, the shoulders, the bat and so on to rotate into the swing at heel plant. Being late is rushed, being early makes everything a change up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802