Timing of the Push with the Drive Foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I like a pitcher to hit the gas after she is already moving forward and in a position where she can drive down and back into the front edge of the rubber. The timing of the arm swing is also important. If the arm starts too soon, you lose some advantage of arm speed and timing into plant/FSR is too early.

A couple check points I like are: the hips over the toes at "GO!" and for the ball to be around 3-2 PM when the drive foot detaches. Another mark I look for is FSR to occur around 8 o'clock.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017
I like a pitcher to hit the gas after she is already moving forward and in a position where she can drive down and back into the front edge of the rubber. The timing of the arm swing is also important. If the arm starts too soon, you lose some advantage of arm speed and timing into plant/FSR is too early.

A couple check points I like are: the hips over the toes at "GO!" and for the ball to be around 3-2 PM when the drive foot detaches. Another mark I look for is FSR to occur around 8 o'clock.
This is what I was looking for! I’ve got a girl that seems to push early, prior to getting front knee over toe and hips out in front. I know push backs and two step drills are good for this. Anything else?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I know push backs and two step drills are good for this. Anything else?

Every girl is a little different so it's tough to suggest something for sure. If you're not comfortable posting a video, send it in a PM to 2-3 DFP'ers and get some ideas.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020

Is "GO" a good place to see if they are at a balance point? I was a total newbie when I had to help some 8-9YO. Understood baseball and that was the feeling I got mimicking fast pitch photos and videos. Was I off base having the girls look for that feeling?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Is "GO" a good place to see if they are at a balance point?
Can you say more about the balance point? My preference is that the body is already moving forward at "GO." I like a push-push motion. Get the body moving forward with the back leg then hit the gas with the drive leg.

Aug 20, 2017
Every girl is a little different so it's tough to suggest something for sure. If you're not comfortable posting a video, send it in a PM to 2-3 DFP'ers and get some ideas.
Not my DD but a girl I coach. Will try to get permission from parents and PM.

Comparing the pic you posted to her, one the thing that sticks out to me is The girl I coach already has drive foot heel down before reaching the top of her backswing. Does that indicate and early push?

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Can you say more about the balance point? My preference is that the body is already moving forward at "GO." I like a push-push motion. Get the body moving forward with the back leg then hit the gas with the drive leg.
Was working with the girls on how to figure things out themselves on the mound if they were struggling.

If their balance changes from pitch to pitch at the “GO” point, might it cause them to land in different places with the stride foot?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802