Timed Play?????????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 21, 2019
My niece plays 10U ball, both rec. team and a travel team. All games are given a 2 hour time limit. When did this happen and why? It is extremely frustrating to me, baseball/softball is not and should not be a timed game. Can someone please explain this?

Jun 22, 2008
Because tournaments need to stay on some kind of schedule. If you don't put a time limit on games you could have games that run 4 hours and high would throw the entire schedule out of whack. Do you really want to be sitting around for hours on end waiting for your next game because 1 or 2 games ran way over?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

2br02b

Trabant swing
Jul 25, 2017
At 14U and up a 2 hour time limit is usually plenty. At 10U... still generous, but not a lot of games make 7 innings at 10U...

I remember when my daughter was playing house league, the games were two hours and seemed like four hours.

Apr 1, 2017
To me, 90 minutes is the sweet spot. In most cases, you can get a complete game, or at least 6 innings done, but it puts a mercy limit on the games where for whatever reason it's taking forever. However, it's really rare to see tournaments with that time limit. Most of the tournaments we sign up for are 75 minutes, finish the inning.

On paper, our league games are 2 hour limit, but don't reach it to often/ever.

Aug 1, 2019
South Carolina
Two hours is plenty of play time for softballers at the 10U level. When I umpire 10U ball, the games are usually limited to 1:15 or 1:30. Be satisfied you get those extra 30 to 45 minutes.

But as Comp pointed out, time limits are pretty normal when there are multiple games on the same field. Even in high school ball where I live, JV games are drop-dead after 1:30 so that the Varsity games can start on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Lot 1 hour 20 minute, drop dead friendlies in so cal. Tourneys often have a "no new" rule. The drop dead /reverts back is the worst.

May 21, 2019
I can understand timed play during a tournament but during their rec. season when they are single games I don't think there should be a limit. I guess I'm alone on this LOL. I like to watch a game play out, the way games were meant to be played. It's frustrating for her when they're down or having a rough start and finally get going & get some momentum and then the game is called. I suppose I can see both sides but I could sit all day and watch softball LOL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802