Time Management / Opinion question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 24, 2020
For those of you with younger kids, how do you manage time between little league & travel ball? Assuming this could also be a question for the middle/high schoolers playing travel & school ball.

My daughter is on a travel ball team, which we really like. However she also began pitching a few months back. So we signed her up for little league to get additional reps in pitching there. We just got our little league game schedule, and games are going to be the same time as her typical travel ball practice.

Which have you chosen over the other? Travel ball is definitely the better of the two teams. I feel like she gets more coaching out of the travel ball practice. But there is something to be said about "in game reps." Also I feel like her confidence goes up being one of the better players in little league.

What are your thoughts?
Skip a little league game once a week? Go to travel ball practice? Or get as many games in as possible?

Thanks for your input.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
When we did this - and you don't do it beyond 12U - you work with your travel coach (who should be thrilled that he may get another developed pitcher) to set expectations and also the rec coach (who should be thrilled he has a travel player on the team). This is IMO the best priority list to work with.

1. ANY Game over practices
2. Travel games over LL games
3. Travel practices over LL/rec practices
4. If she is getting burned out, miss a rec practice.

That worked for a season of two of development. Your DD WILL get burned out if you let it go too long. It is a LOT of softball.

May 1, 2018
Realistically you probably paid around $100 for your rec season and $200 a month for travel..... you dollar tells you were priority should be.

Jul 22, 2015
For those of you with younger kids, how do you manage time between little league & travel ball? Assuming this could also be a question for the middle/high schoolers playing travel & school ball.

My daughter is on a travel ball team, which we really like. However she also began pitching a few months back. So we signed her up for little league to get additional reps in pitching there. We just got our little league game schedule, and games are going to be the same time as her typical travel ball practice.

Which have you chosen over the other? Travel ball is definitely the better of the two teams. I feel like she gets more coaching out of the travel ball practice. But there is something to be said about "in game reps." Also I feel like her confidence goes up being one of the better players in little league.

What are your thoughts?
Skip a little league game once a week? Go to travel ball practice? Or get as many games in as possible?

Thanks for your input.
My response is to re-read the @marriard post above. Essentially EXACTLY what I was going to say and what we did at one point with my dd. As long as the travel coach is good with missing (he should be, it's to develop his pitcher) then game reps should be the priority.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Back when I was commissioning our rec ball 10U division, we had a couple of travel ball kids that signed up. These coaches were getting all lathered up at the prospect of having these kids on their teams. I warned the coaches that if you draft her you might have her for half of the games and rarely see her at practices. You better have a 2nd pitcher!

Feb 22, 2021
DD is a 1st year 10U pitcher. Our plan is exactly what @marriard typed out.
Communicated with the TB Coach, I am assisting with the rec team (since I am commissioner as well).
Communication is key. Everyone is on the same page.

Oct 10, 2018

Exactly how we handled MS softball vs. TB ball. Just to add, she missed one school practice a week for her pitching lesson (she only pitches for the school - so it was solely for their benefit and coach was OK with it at first but then reneged her team captain spot).
Now in TB goes dark during the HS season so no more sweating it!

May 4, 2016
Yeah, on the high school side. In Missouri no organized practice or games with TB team allowed once high school practice begins until team is out of the playoffs.

Dec 24, 2020
When we did this - and you don't do it beyond 12U - you work with your travel coach (who should be thrilled that he may get another developed pitcher) to set expectations and also the rec coach (who should be thrilled he has a travel player on the team). This is IMO the best priority list to work with.

That worked for a season of two of development. Your DD WILL get burned out if you let it go too long. It is a LOT of softball.

This order is exactly what I was thinking. Thanks to everyone for the input!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101