Time limits for 10U Double-Elimination 1-day tourn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 18, 2015
What's the standard time limit for 10U? (C level - still plenty of walks).
Is it feasible to do 1:15 NNI, and just finish the inning? Would like to avoid using a drop dead time. Should we expect those games to average out to more than 1:30 per game?
This will be for a 1-day, double eilmination tournament with only 4 teams. 5-run limit per inning.

Thanks in advance for any advice / feedback!

Aug 2, 2019
Every tournament we've had is 70 minutes, no new inning. Almost every game is 3 innings. A well pitched game will get to the 5th.

Very rarely get behind schedule with 1:30 time slots. It only happened to us once, and we got the field back on time with a 45 minute run rule game.

Sep 29, 2014
With only four teams seems odd you wouldn't just do a one pool format with 3 gg. On one field you could start at 9 and finish by 6 easy with 70 minute NNI. The double elimination bracket just means one team get 2 and the others 3 or maybe 4.

But yea with six games the 75 min NNI (1:30 between scheduled games) will get you from 9am to 6pm plus the if game pushes you to 7:30...sounds fine

Aug 2, 2019
Never done drop dead time. It sounds awful to be honest. The only game we participated in that went over 90 minutes was an extra inning game in the semis.

Jun 11, 2013
If you have 2 fields you can go a little longer if you would like. If you have 1 you have to keep in mind the potential of 7 games so that's over possible 10.5 hours of games. If you had 2 fields I would do a consolation game to guarantee all teams 3 games.

Aug 2, 2019
Another thing that speeds up game with inning run limits is that if the spread is more than the inning limit, we finish the batter and the game is over.

May 29, 2015
Having a runs-per-inning limit should save you.

Where you often run over is those garbage-time games where you have “the wrong home team” and just under the run-rule limit. You start that last inning with just a few minutes left, the home team can’t get any outs, and what was a 9-run game turns into a 17-run game after it is too late to kill it. Another 30-40 minutes passes for no good reason.

I agree with djcarter ... with only 4 teams a round-robin makes more sense.

9:00 1 v 2
10:30 3 v 4
12:00 1 v 4
1:30 2 v 3
3:00 2 v 4
4:30 1 v 3

6 rounds, everybody gets 3 games. Go home and grill.

Nov 18, 2015
Thanks as always for the great replies.

We do have 2 fields, but will be starting at noon. We should have lights, but last game should be around 6.

I'm seriously re-considering the format now. I love the idea of getting 3 games or more in through bracket play, but with our luck, it will be us (the host) that gets to "2-n-que". I don't think any of the teams are looking to claim a "tournament win", meaning they'd probably be happier with a guaranteed 3 games than a 1 in 4 chance of only playing 2.

So swapping the times and accounting for two fields, it would look like:
12:00 1 v 2
12:00 3 v 4
1:30 1 v 4
1:30 2 v 3
3:00 1 v 3
3:00 2 v 4

That's actually much better time wise. We could probably start round 3 a few minutes later to allow for a break, and then possibly do a 4th set of games - 1 championship game and 1 consolation game, and be done by 6:30.

My coaches and team managers are going to hate me. :)

Nov 18, 2015
Where you often run over is those garbage-time games where you have “the wrong home team” and just under the run-rule limit. You start that last inning with just a few minutes left, the home team can’t get any outs, and what was a 9-run game turns into a 17-run game after it is too late to kill it. Another 30-40 minutes passes for no good reason.
Had that exact scenario happen to use this summer. It was a somewhat close game, we were home. Then the wheels fell off. The mound was horrible (the hole was so big, the pitcher was literally throwing up hill by the time she landed), and I made the mistake of leaving our pitcher in for way too long. (We just needed one more out...) By the time the 1/2 inning finished, we were down something like 15 runs. I think they batted around at least twice.

To their credit, the girls re-grouped after a break and looked ready to get their first win against what appeared to be a weaker team through 1 inning. Then the monsoon struck...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wes_K