Time limits for 10U Double-Elimination 1-day tourn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Not knowing your teams, you may want to leave a few breaks or lengthen the time between games since every team will be playing 3 in a row. That may not be something the teams are accustomed to (and is rare in a tournament unless you are playing “back in” from the loser’s bracket).

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Thanks as always for the great replies.

We do have 2 fields, but will be starting at noon. We should have lights, but last game should be around 6.

I'm seriously re-considering the format now. I love the idea of getting 3 games or more in through bracket play, but with our luck, it will be us (the host) that gets to "2-n-que". I don't think any of the teams are looking to claim a "tournament win", meaning they'd probably be happier with a guaranteed 3 games than a 1 in 4 chance of only playing 2.

So swapping the times and accounting for two fields, it would look like:
12:00 1 v 2
12:00 3 v 4
1:30 1 v 4
1:30 2 v 3
3:00 1 v 3
3:00 2 v 4

That's actually much better time wise. We could probably start round 3 a few minutes later to allow for a break, and then possibly do a 4th set of games - 1 championship game and 1 consolation game, and be done by 6:30.

My coaches and team managers are going to hate me. :)

If you already have the four teams, I wouldn't even call it a tournament. $35/game, pay the umpire at the plate or collect it centrally. Every team must bring their insurance. I would move the 3:00pm to 4:00pm for a lunch break. We run scrimmage weekends like this all the time. $105 for 3 games is a deal compared to tournament entry. 3 games are probably plenty - wouldn't worry about a championship game since every one has already played everyone else. If you want one, declare the team with the best record the champs and everyone can go home.

Nov 18, 2015
Yes - after posting I realized we should add in maybe a 30 min break. Also a good way to encourage concessions (I think we’re just bringing some pizzas in).

We will be asking for insurance. Our umpire fees are around $60 per game. Since this will be 10U-C, very few of the girls would have played more than 3 games in a day before (sadly, none from my team!). We know the teams coming - so it may be best just to ask if they’ll have enough pitchers for 4 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
I would seriously reconsider having C teams play 4 games in a row. I remember when we used to play DH's and after the 2nd game the players acted like they just finished the Ironman.

Aug 2, 2019
I would seriously reconsider having C teams play 4 games in a row. I remember when we used to play DH's and after the 2nd game the players acted like they just finished the Ironman.
When DD was in 10C they played 7 games in a day. The kids were fine. The parents, not so much. DD was asleep before we were out of the parking lot though. On the fields at 7am, out the parking lot at 11:30.

Feb 3, 2011
Hosting 4 teams is not a tournament, it's a friendly. Everyone gets 3 games and if you're feeling froggy and want to get in a little more work, you can always flip for an add-on game. At this time of year, most umpires don't mind getting the extra game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28