Tilt

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2016
A hitting coach (at a small group hitting clinic) told me my daughter needs to incorporate some tilt to get the needed backspin to drive the ball deeper. He likes the rest of the swing. Can anyone explain this in a simple way? Maybe a side by side pic of tilt vs. no tilt? I don’t know...

Thanks in advance!

Oct 2, 2017
A hitting coach (at a small group hitting clinic) told me my daughter needs to incorporate some tilt to get the needed backspin to drive the ball deeper. He likes the rest of the swing. Can anyone explain this in a simple way? Maybe a side by side pic of tilt vs. no tilt? I don’t know...

Thanks in advance!

4:00 mark of the vide. I'm not saying whether I am or not advocating for any of the rest of the video. Just a simple presentation of tilt in the swing is all.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The term "tilt" isn't precise enough. A person who knows hitting might discuss pelvic and/or lateral tilt. If done correctly, both are accomplished in a dynamic fashion and not a static set up.

Oct 2, 2017
The term "tilt" isn't precise enough. A person who knows hitting might discuss pelvic and/or lateral tilt. If done correctly, both are accomplished in a dynamic fashion and not a static set up.
Exactly why is said it's more than just simply tilt

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
d17be1_6567c9a1ddee45419df1afe1485c08d4~mv2.webp

Tilt or lack of tilt is dependent on pitch/ball location/height.

Staying away from anything in that video. Once the hips rotate and the bat turns the shoulder should tilt due to body position. If shoulders stays horizontal have to cast hands and drop bat to reach any pitch lower half of zone.

Oct 2, 2017
Staying away from anything in that video. Once the hips rotate and the bat turns the shoulder should tilt due to body position. If shoulders stays horizontal have to cast hands and drop bat to reach any pitch lower half of zone.

I stated specicifically in the post to whatch video at the 4:00 time stamp. Obviously tilt is not just keeping the shoulders horizontal.

Sep 29, 2014
d17be1_6567c9a1ddee45419df1afe1485c08d4~mv2.webp

Tilt or lack of tilt is dependent on pitch/ball location/height.
I think the DEGREE of tilt is dependent on pitch/ball location/height, you should always have some tilt. I suppose in theory you could have a pitch high enough that you tomahawk the ball with no tilt...but at that point you should probably not be swinging at that pitch ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee