Tiger's hitting coach-Vavra

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
"He spends a lot of time working with the younger hitters and he is not afraid to use Cabrera as a visual aid."
Oh, really I thought to myself. How ingenious. LOL
"I tell these young guys, Please, if you have the time, watch his routine, because its flawless"says Vavra "He gets busy. He can get 100 swings with the best of them and not even be breathing hard. That means the mechanical part of it is efficient and he's not taxing his body with effort on every swing."
I like a few (maybe 7 or 8) easy swings to get rhythm and loose but like them to be tired after 5 or 6 swings. Regroup and take 5 or 6 more. Whats your thought on 100 easy/ efficient swings?

May 24, 2013
So Cal
In my experience as an athlete in an endurance sport that also included periods of high intensity efforts (cycling), there is a lot of physiological benefit to low-intensity, long-duration training. It helps the body learn how to be efficient in its movements and use of energy. Increased efficiency of movements not only means less energy expended during low-intensity demands, but more power available for high-intensity efforts. For a complex movement pattern like swinging a bat, I can easily see how being able to repeat the same movement in low-intensity, high-rep work would be good for establishing muscle memory patterns and building towards an "unconscious" swing, as well as increasing efficiency. However, if the consistency from swing to swing isn't very good during the high-rep work, it's going to be less effective in achieving those goals. For young players, it would make sense to me to build in reps over time, and never go past the point where their pattern starts to break down.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
"He spends a lot of time working with the younger hitters and he is not afraid to use Cabrera as a visual aid."
Oh, really I thought to myself. How ingenious. LOL
"I tell these young guys, Please, if you have the time, watch his routine, because its flawless"says Vavra "He gets busy. He can get 100 swings with the best of them and not even be breathing hard. That means the mechanical part of it is efficient and he's not taxing his body with effort on every swing."
I like a few (maybe 7 or 8) easy swings to get rhythm and loose but like them to be tired after 5 or 6 swings. Regroup and take 5 or 6 more. Whats your thought on 100 easy/ efficient swings?

Define “Easy”?

IMO your swing should feel “Easy” even at 100%. If you are tired after just 5-6 swings that tells me the swings are very muscled upped, which aren’t efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee