Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I have kids throw a volleyball. It's in order to throw it directly at your target, you HAVE TO keep your hand behind the ball. Have seen girls with awful motions throw a volleyball twice, and on the second throw, it's just beautiful.

Curious how this works when, I'm guessing, their hands are often much too small to grip a volleyball.

It seems like this would actually promote hand under the ball since that's the only way someone with small hands could hold it.

Unless they scan squeeze it because the volleyball is softer, in which case, maybe a dodgeball would work even better?

Oct 26, 2019
@CoachJD I agree. I think so many girls throw a softball like you would throw a pie is because the ball is too big for their small hands forcing them to push it from behind. I started my DD with a baseball until age 9 and she didn’t have that problem - just an observation.

May 1, 2011
Curious how this works when, I'm guessing, their hands are often much too small to grip a volleyball.

It seems like this would actually promote hand under the ball since that's the only way someone with small hands could hold it.

Unless they scan squeeze it because the volleyball is softer, in which case, maybe a dodgeball would work even better?

I know this sounds stupid, but just hang in there. I actually saw it on here years ago. They can't squeeze it. You have them balance a volleyball at about hear level (much like a waiter would a tray). The point is to have them throw it straight at their target and not way up in the air, so you whoever is catching it doesn't need to be too far away. In order to get the ball to go straight, their hand has to stay behind it. I'll video someone doing it this evening and post. I am not saying it is the end all be all, but in regards to getting someone's hand behind the ball, it works.

Jun 8, 2016
I know this sounds stupid, but just hang in there. I actually saw it on here years ago. They can't squeeze it. You have them balance a volleyball at about hear level (much like a waiter would a tray). The point is to have them throw it straight at their target and not way up in the air, so you whoever is catching it doesn't need to be too far away. In order to get the ball to go straight, their hand has to stay behind it. I'll video someone doing it this evening and post. I am not saying it is the end all be all, but in regards to getting someone's hand behind the ball, it works.
vHxvg40.gif

I would think it would be pretty difficult to throw a ball like the above, e.g. properly (albeit with shorter arm action for IF) when a player cannot hold the ball in their hand.

Nov 18, 2015
@CoachJD I agree. I think so many girls throw a softball like you would throw a pie is because the ball is too big for their small hands forcing them to push it from behind. I started my DD with a baseball until age 9 and she didn’t have that problem - just an observation.
Looking forward to the video demonstration. I have a few girls that still seem to "push", and it really looks like they're not getting their thumb around the ball enough. And this is with an 11". I should probably have them just use baseballs to warmup - it's hard to remember (and implement) the individual fixes needed across a team of 12 girls!

Oct 2, 2017
Looking forward to the video demonstration. I have a few girls that still seem to "push", and it really looks like they're not getting their thumb around the ball enough. And this is with an 11". I should probably have them just use baseballs to warmup - it's hard to remember (and implement) the individual fixes needed across a team of 12 girls!

I feel part of the problem, is that youth players have a hard time being fluid and loose when throwing. they tense up because they are trying to make a play, don't want make a wild throw etc. so, this often creates a push instead of throw. You can kind of see that here.

Jun 8, 2016
I feel part of the problem, is that youth players have a hard time being fluid and loose when throwing. they tense up because they are trying to make a play, don't want make a wild throw etc. so, this often creates a push instead of throw.
Back when I played kids would get the "stop aiming the ball" instruction when this happened. Not sure it helped any.. :LOL:

Dec 11, 2010
I was going to ask if you are practicing indoors!

I don’t know what it is but the throwing can get weird when you are practicing indoors a lot.

Solution? Idk... It always seems to take care of itself when you get outside?

Oct 26, 2019

video demonstration of?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sstop28