Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2015
South East
Anyone have a link to water bottle drill? I guessing it’s just slo motion throwing a water bottle, letting the water pour out as you do your arm circle? Another dumb question, what the heck does DD stand for? I get people are referring to their daughter. Sorry I’m new here. Thanks

-As far as teaching proper throwing mechanics we start out on both knees working on proper grip, getting the ball rolling off our finger tips while loosing our elbow and wrist.
-Then we go to one knee working on proper arm circle, elbow height and getting glove side shoulder (and elbow) in line with target. And follow through.
-Then we go to similar drills as shown in the video above.
These are everyday drills. Same routine to start practice every day.
*We never pick up a ball until we’ve ran and stretched.

DD = Darling Daughter

I don’t have a link to the water bottle drill but you don’t actually pour the water out.... If I remember correctly, it is designed to feel the transition of the hand from the pull back to when the hand starts to get pulled forward (when the forearm starts to lay back). During this time the water inside of the bottle (only a quarter to half full) will shift from one side to the other.

I believe it is just a constraint drill to feel the water shifting before activity propelling the hand forward, allowing the body to get stretched to help catapult the hand forward instead of pushing it forward. I maybe wrong in Austin’s true intent of it but that is my opinion of the drill and what I feel it does for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 28, 2019
DD = Darling Daughter

I don’t have a link to the water bottle drill but you don’t actually pour the water out.... If I remember correctly, it is designed to feel the transition of the hand from the pull back to when the hand starts to get pulled forward (when the forearm starts to lay back). During this time the water inside of the bottle (only a quarter to half full) will shift from one side to the other.

I believe it is just a constraint drill to feel the water shifting before activity propelling the hand forward, allowing the body to get stretched to help catapult the hand forward instead of pushing it forward. I maybe wrong in Austin’s true intent of it but that is my opinion of the drill and what I feel it does for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
This may help someone.

- [Slow Motion] How to Throw a Softball: Shoulder Tilt = EVERYTHING.

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
More ideas

- Throwing Drills

- Infield and Catchers Throwing Drills

BigSkyHi

Jan 13, 2020
This lady is special!

- Throwing Breakdown: Washington Shortstop, Sis Bates