Throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 2, 2017
I was going to ask if you are practicing indoors!

I don’t know what it is but the throwing can get weird when you are practicing indoors a lot.

Solution? Idk... It always seems to take care of itself when you get outside?

This was their first practice there. Usually its in a gym because of the weather. Indoors possibly could be the reason 🤷‍♂️

Oct 2, 2017
vHxvg40.gif

I would think it would be pretty difficult to throw a ball like the above, e.g. properly (albeit with shorter arm action for IF) when a player cannot hold the ball in their hand.

feeling the tipping of the water bottle, when we did the water bottle drill I think helped DD.

Nov 18, 2015
That's a great arm angle - she's keeping her arm flat, and her elbow is only dropping a little bit (i.e. it could be a lot worse!). Her front side could be a little more active - hard to tell from this distance if she's actively pulling it back into her chest or side. But probably more so than the front side, encourage her to keep pulling back with her scap - that may delay her arm coming forward that fraction of a second longer, which sometimes keeps the elbow higher.

Or - have her start with her glove higher, so that her front shoulder comes down, and her back shoulder goes up - to borrow a hitting analogy - a little more tilt-a-whirl, a little less flat merry-go-round.

Towny9 - sorry for the confusion - the video demo comment was in reference to CobraAssist's post.

Dec 11, 2010
This was their first practice there. Usually its in a gym because of the weather. Indoors possibly could be the reason 🤷‍♂️
Same result even with high ceilings. I can‘t begin to explain it, just know I’ve seen it. All short throws maybe?

Oct 2, 2017
That's a great arm angle - she's keeping her arm flat, and her elbow is only dropping a little bit (i.e. it could be a lot worse!). Her front side could be a little more active - hard to tell from this distance if she's actively pulling it back into her chest or side. But probably more so than the front side, encourage her to keep pulling back with her scap - that may delay her arm coming forward that fraction of a second longer, which sometimes keeps the elbow higher.

Or - have her start with her glove higher, so that her front shoulder comes down, and her back shoulder goes up - to borrow a hitting analogy - a little more tilt-a-whirl, a little less flat merry-go-round.

Towny9 - sorry for the confusion - the video demo comment was in reference to CobraAssist's post.
It was much worse, the other day, trust me LOL. It was wierd. We worked on it that one day with the water bottle. I used a jedi mind trick, I said, "Do you want to continue playing ball? she said yes. I said if you don't keep you elbow up and throw right, you'll hurt you arm and never play again!" :ROFLMAO:

Dec 13, 2011
Nashua, NH
Daughter has been doing some weird throwing lately. She brings the ball basically to her ear, and from there almost just pushes the ball. It creates this weird sidearm motion. Did the water bottle drill for about 15-20 min. yesterday Then played catch. While not perfect, there was a major improvement. Great drill! My DD wants to constantly drop her elbow below her shoulder and keep it there. Any suggestions

Hey!

I'd love to help! We have lots of free articles and training books/videos on our website and youtube/vimeo if you want to check this out! High Level Throwing® is the most used overhand throwing system in the country and used by lots of travel and college programs. Hope we can help answer some questions on throwing patterns! Thanks - Austin

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
I like to tell them "throw like a girl" with these pictures in my hand.

Attachments

• Throw-1.jpg
    Throw-1.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Throw-12.jpg
    Throw-12.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 14
Nov 28, 2019
Anyone have a link to water bottle drill? I guessing it’s just slo motion throwing a water bottle, letting the water pour out as you do your arm circle? Another dumb question, what the heck does DD stand for? I get people are referring to their daughter. Sorry I’m new here. Thanks

-As far as teaching proper throwing mechanics we start out on both knees working on proper grip, getting the ball rolling off our finger tips while loosing our elbow and wrist.
-Then we go to one knee working on proper arm circle, elbow height and getting glove side shoulder (and elbow) in line with target. And follow through.
-Then we go to similar drills as shown in the video above.
These are everyday drills. Same routine to start practice every day.
*We never pick up a ball until we’ve ran and stretched.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802