Throwing to 2nd

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2008
My thought has been if the catcher has more arm than she does lower body quickness, maybe the throw from the knees makes sense. If someone does it effectively with a great pop time I don't think I'd try to change it in her late teens or later. Santiago did it that way in the majors and of course we've seen examples in fp. I would think it would make more sense in fp than in bb. Given the shorter throw I would think a quick release would gain a little more importance relative to velocity in fp vs bb? The Ballplayers - Benito Santiago | BaseballLibrary.com

May 7, 2008
Hudson, NH
I have worked with catchers from all over the US and have only found a few where a throw from the knees to 2nd made any sense on a straight steal with a pitch NOT in the dirt.

For most girls the velocity loss due to the exclusion of the legs and hips being in the throw as much tends to yield a slower overall throw to 2nd. The release may be a bit quicker but the velocity loss cancells out any advantage in most girls.

I am also concerned about excessive strain on the arm and shoulders this throw can contribute to.

I do advocate and teach a throw to the corners from the knees. A pick from the knees can add the "surprise" factor that may catch a base runner napping.

May 12, 2008
Makes sense. The two I think of were both very tall girls not possessed of great quickness. But they could easily throw a bullet to second the way Santiago did/the way you describe.

Mar 2, 2009
Suffolk, VA
Catch-Coach: Appreciate your insight.... Good point for the strain on arm and shoulders. Although Megan Willis seemed to do well for herslf, the odds of a player causing long term injury is not somethinig I would want to be responsible for.

Oct 2, 2009
Hello all,

Susan here, well i am impressed with this place as it illustrated all you need neatly, i was in search of them & you have posted them almost all, please post more if you have .

Cheers!!!

Oct 19, 2009
NC
Great post...My dd has a very strong arm (12yrs old) and can throw from her knees to second with some velocity but as Coach Weaver said, her throw is stronger from her feet to second base but we use it at the beginning of the innings for intimidation factors. I do teach her to stay down on throws to 1st and 3rd to keep the ball low and the surprise factor.

Oct 19, 2009
I am a catcher and sometimes throw from my knees. I only throw from my knees if I have to drop and block. i perfer to throw standing up but it depends on the catcher.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom