throwing or catching error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
had a bunch written up... First year 12's: I think that it is annoying to the fielders if catchers routinely short hop the SS or 2B. They should be able to get a glove on it and prevent the "pass ball", but the likelyhood of converting the out plummets with short hops (and high thrown balls too). Long hop or get it in the air are the two best options IMO for 1st year 12's.

My DD is a catcher... When she short hops it, my feeling is she needs to do a better job. She's 2nd year 12u, so SS and 2B are getting better and can mostly handle it, in a year it will be no big deal to the defensemen, but catchers should always strive for putting the ball 6-12" above the ground right in front of the bag.

May 6, 2015
I guess there may be some terminology issues here, long vs short hop, I guessed I used short hop without even thinking what it means. she generally is hitting the ground 6 feet or so in front of the bag. is that a long or short hop?. she is trying to have it about 18 inches or so up off the ground as it goes over the bag or baseline (she aims for face of bag closest to 1B), so that SS is in good position to lay tag down hopefully between BR and the bag.

May 28, 2019
what is the basis for determining if a throw down to 2B is a throwing or catching error if it goes to CF. Was not there on sunday, but DD indicated in the last game she caught, couple of her throws went into CF, SS complained that DD was not hitting her spots. would like to know for the future what is a throwing vs catching error.

is it if the SS gets leather on it? where the throw is in relation to SS? to 2B?

to me, if the ball is anywhere within say 18-24 inches of 2B (including vertically), really needs to be caught, or at least kept close enough to prevent runner from advancing to 3B. I also have routinely taught DD (so much so that she does not even really see if the SS is covering, as evidence when she sailed one into CF when SS unexplicably went to backup third with lone BR on 1B) to simply throw to the face of the bag facing 1B. If the SS does not get there, that is their fault. One of DDs strenght is how quickly she gets rid of the ball, not necessarily her arm strength (strong, but there are others with stonger arms), and I do not want anything slowing that down.

i believe in reality part of the issue is DD routinely one hops the throw, which I am fine with, because it is more on a rope then if she really tries to reach in the air (first year 12u). I think the SS simply does not like catching it on the hop (granted it is different catch than all the way in the air, but one that I feel a SS should be able to make).

My girl is playing on a 9u team in 10 u league. The first missile she set sail to 2nd base that the SS wasn't there for the play, i told my DD to call time, throw her helmet on the ground and stomp her way to the girl and tell that girl to get her you know what to you know where next time or you know what will happen. After that, SS has never not been there again.

No none of that happened but it all transpired in dad's brain behind the fence. :)

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee