throwing or catching error

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
what is the basis for determining if a throw down to 2B is a throwing or catching error if it goes to CF. Was not there on sunday, but DD indicated in the last game she caught, couple of her throws went into CF, SS complained that DD was not hitting her spots. would like to know for the future what is a throwing vs catching error.

is it if the SS gets leather on it? where the throw is in relation to SS? to 2B?

to me, if the ball is anywhere within say 18-24 inches of 2B (including vertically), really needs to be caught, or at least kept close enough to prevent runner from advancing to 3B. I also have routinely taught DD (so much so that she does not even really see if the SS is covering, as evidence when she sailed one into CF when SS unexplicably went to backup third with lone BR on 1B) to simply throw to the face of the bag facing 1B. If the SS does not get there, that is their fault. One of DDs strenght is how quickly she gets rid of the ball, not necessarily her arm strength (strong, but there are others with stonger arms), and I do not want anything slowing that down.

i believe in reality part of the issue is DD routinely one hops the throw, which I am fine with, because it is more on a rope then if she really tries to reach in the air (first year 12u). I think the SS simply does not like catching it on the hop (granted it is different catch than all the way in the air, but one that I feel a SS should be able to make).

Jun 11, 2013
It's not fair but if you throw to a base with no one there it's an E2. On others if the fielder is there and the official scorer feels that SS should have (not could have) caught it's an E6. Field stats can be so misleading at younger ages so don't worry too much about them. Concentrate on making good quick throws and when arm strength catches up it will all work out.

Nov 18, 2015
Curious - how many of those one hoppers to 2B have you fielded yourself? If any ball in the dirt is usually a WP that gets by a catcher, why wouldn't a ball that bounces and gets by a SS not be an error on the C?

My suggestion is to change the aiming point to the SS head (or where her head would be, obviously, if she was already waiting at the bag). If she's not strong enough to hit that high a target, than it might just drop to about waist high, which as I understand it is the preferred target area.

sjw62000

just cleaning the dugout
Sep 1, 2018
North Carolina
canyonjoe is spot on. E2 or E6 is basically left to the judgement of the scorekeeper. Sometimes is cut and dried; overthrow - E2, SS doesn't handle the throw - E6. Sometimes it is not so clear and the scorekeeper has to make the determination. Though I suspect that there may be some bias if SS or C is Scorekeeper's DD.

Finally, to reiterate canyonjoe, fielding stats at anything below HS tend to be a bit misleading.

Aug 23, 2016
Curious - how many of those one hoppers to 2B have you fielded yourself? If any ball in the dirt is usually a WP that gets by a catcher, why wouldn't a ball that bounces and gets by a SS not be an error on the C?

When I keep score, I give the SS (or 2B, if that's who's covering) the benefit of the doubt on one-hoppers. It's not always routine to catch a ball that bounced in the dirt, especially when the player is also worried about keeping the ball in front of her and not obstructing if the ball isn't caught, plus there's a runner barreling down on her. But a lot of the time I don't call it an error at all - just a stolen base. I generally only charge an error when the runner gets more than one base because of the throw. (DD plays 10U.)

Aug 20, 2017
We teach our catchers to hit the base with the ball. In practice, have a coach Throw Short hops to each infielder at each base in the catch and tag postion. Work it at each practice.

Nov 18, 2015
... But a lot of the time I don't call it an error at all - just a stolen base. I generally only charge an error when the runner gets more than one base because of the throw. (DD plays 10U.)

I believe that’s the guideline for scoring - no error if an extra base isn’t achieved or an expected out doesn’t occur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 23, 2016
I believe that’s the guideline for scoring - no error if an extra base isn’t achieved or an expected out doesn’t occur?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I've seen a runner only get one base and I've still called it an error. There's one coach in DD's league who loves the back pick at 1B when there's a slow runner, and if C throws the ball away then the runner might only get one base but it's still an error because that runner would never have left first if C didn't make the bad throw.

May 6, 2015
Well, I've seen a runner only get one base and I've still called it an error. There's one coach in DD's league who loves the back pick at 1B when there's a slow runner, and if C throws the ball away then the runner might only get one base but it's still an error because that runner would never have left first if C didn't make the bad throw.

yes, but that is still an additional base, they were not already trying to steal, they were headed back to 1B prseumably, and only advanced to 2B after the errant throw.

team is not really tracking scoring much, just wanted to know how DD should respond really to SS calling her out

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812